Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 113

Thread: Adom Wiki

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Molach View Post
    If I have ever written something useful, by all means use it.
    Vielen dank, Herr Molach.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,467

    Default

    I don't think I have much useful stuff written because I'm not one of the 1337 pwnx0rs, but anyway you can use any material written by me here.

    By the way, rather than taking an existing wiki that does not conform to your policies (i.e. it has information from the guidebook without permission, etc.); wouldn't it be better to start a new wiki where you are the boss and set the policies?

    I mean, now you say that you're going to remove the Guidebook information from that wiki, but perhaps the owner of that wiki wants it that way, and what if he returns and adds the information again, or does any other modification against what you think the wiki should be?

    If you're going to put so much effort into it, I think you should be the admin.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    5,014

    Default

    Go ahead and use my stuff if you wish - can't say it's ever right. You may want to lift some info from my incomplete Bard guide, which can be found here. However even bits of that are out of date or inaccurate.

    The best format for the wiki is to have it as purely a stats/facts resource. That way it compliments the Guidebook instead of replacing it. The less disputable advice the better.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Feel free to use anything I wrote in this forum under the terms of the WTFPL+NoWarranty.

    Not that I can remember to have written anything useful.

    I agree with Grey, I think this is a more worthwhile goal than the one the GB seems to be pursuing - GB *is* a Guide, but I really don't want a Guide, I want a fact database. Thing is I didn't know this before Grey pointed it out in such clear words.

    Starting with the Appendices from the GB (assuming Andy allows this) would probably be a good idea.

    But then, you might want to think about whether or not it wouldnt be better not to do it the wiki way but to automate it a bit so that you can have an overview table such as in the Guidebook appendices auto-generated from the actual content pages.

    This might even be possible with a normal wiki, as long as you format the content pages in such a way that one can auto-extract the data from them. (key::value pairs would be ideal, then have pagetype::monster and so on, just define somewhere what fields a page has and what fields a pagetype::monster page has and so on and what they mean, for example sees-invisible::yes).

    Or something, I'm a bit tired now, maybe its a bad idea. Or am I overengineering? That bad too, but common problem among roguelike devs
    Last edited by Epythic; 06-28-2009 at 09:04 PM.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

    The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Czech rep
    Posts
    90

    Default

    You are free to use any of my texts in rgra, here, or IGB. You may need to compare IGB vs GB to see the differences, in case you don't want to copy from the original GB.
    "Girdle of weight weighs 200s/400s/600s B/U/C when equipped"

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    660

    Default

    Here is a link to a wiki on "Troubles of Middle Earth" (Angband spinoff) I used quite a bit when playing (winning!) that game.

    It was very useful at giving out info, telling all about inner workings and presenting info about any ability (skill) and character, but rarely telling me how to use it in the game tactically or strategically, except very briefly where it really lay in the cards. Like "tree growth can be used to block LOS when faced with eye druj quests" Or something.

    The whole thing has one post (entry?) called "Lord Dimwit's Advanced Strategy Guide" which is a guide. Also there is a section called "day in the life" which would be like a collection of advanced/elaborate/detailed YAVP reports, which usually can give some AHA-experiences to learning players.

    Link: (Not much need for most to follow it, really. I summed it up perfectly just above.)
    http://wiki.t-o-m-e.net/SpoilerArchive
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    4,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IGB View Post
    "Girdle of weight weighs 200s/400s/600s B/U/C when equipped"

    You surely found this on your own, Pavel...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    I don't think I have much useful stuff written because I'm not one of the 1337 pwnx0rs, but anyway you can use any material written by me here.

    By the way, rather than taking an existing wiki that does not conform to your policies (i.e. it has information from the guidebook without permission, etc.); wouldn't it be better to start a new wiki where you are the boss and set the policies?

    I mean, now you say that you're going to remove the Guidebook information from that wiki, but perhaps the owner of that wiki wants it that way, and what if he returns and adds the information again, or does any other modification against what you think the wiki should be?

    If you're going to put so much effort into it, I think you should be the admin.
    It would probably be better to create a new wiki from scratch, true.
    However, I wouldn't have the first idea how to go about that, and I definitely have no way of hosting a new one... so for now, I'm going to stick with this one.
    I seem to recall that the copyright statement on that wiki says that if I want, I can move the info to another wiki if I choose, so we're covered in the event of me deciding to start my own. I think.



    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Go ahead and use my stuff if you wish - can't say it's ever right. You may want to lift some info from my incomplete Bard guide, which can be found here. However even bits of that are out of date or inaccurate.

    The best format for the wiki is to have it as purely a stats/facts resource. That way it compliments the Guidebook instead of replacing it. The less disputable advice the better.
    I think a pure stats/facts resource is a brilliant idea. However, I will be adding links to popular guides etc where relevant. (EG, Soirana's ToEF guide when I make a ToEF page. Assuming he agrees to be linked...)





    At the moment, I'm busy rewriting the Prayer and Piety pages. I doubt I'll finish before I have to wander off to work, but I shall try.
    What other pages do you think should be made a priority?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    4,278

    Default

    As long as that remains same wiki [and i recall the one who started it quite well, just kind of person who does not believe there is different between saying blessed stoma gives you x piety and 95 blessed stoma is good for first precrown...].

    So as long as it stays same wiki you are not allowed to quote, link or use in any other way any information [especially guides] created by me.

    And yes i am big old stupid troll born under starsign of jerk.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    As long as that remains same wiki [and i recall the one who started it quite well, just kind of person who does not believe there is different between saying blessed stoma gives you x piety and 95 blessed stoma is good for first precrown...].

    So as long as it stays same wiki you are not allowed to quote, link or use in any other way any information [especially guides] created by me.

    And yes i am big old stupid troll born under starsign of jerk.
    Aww

    If I were to start my own, could I quote/link you then?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •