Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puppy of chaos challenge

Missiles and damage spells would have to be banned in the puppy-wielding challenge.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Puppy bashing is fine I guess. The image of a hero that just finished bashing balors with a puppy corpse, closed the gate and returns puppy corpse, wiping the blood off to the girl: 'Sorry, all I could do is save the whole world with your puppy, there is no revive spell, so this will have to do. Let me chat with you for a moment to make it all good.' is fun too. (but as someone mentioned, item destruction is probably harder to avoid than keeping leveled up puppy alive...)

The trouble with avoiding item destruction is that it's down to luck in the early game--or else absolutely tedious. You would have to search for traps at every step with a very high detect traps skill and have a way to avoid all monsters who have fire, lightning, or acid-based attacks. And two rings of ice would be an absolute necessity for the Tower. Just luck.

If you want to do a challenge that involves wielding something particularly unsuited as a weapon, I recommend a challenge in which you go straight to the gremlin cave, retrieve the Phial of Caladriel, and use it the entire game. As an artifact, it can't be destroyed; as a potion, it doesn't make a very good weapon.

How about:
    1) Save the puppy.
    2) Drag the puppy with you to D:48 (can't leave it behind and return later!)
    3) Kill the puppy.
    4) Clear D:50 while wielding the corpse (bonus points for wishing for another one and dual-wielding)
    5) Give the girl the corpse on the way out.

Item destruction wouldn't be too bad if you bless the corpse, get the right resistances and be choosy in who you fight. Alertness would help a lot too, of course.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!