Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forum Competition Game?

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Hmm... how about an ADOMPossible style game, but rather than doing steals like described in the link Soirana lists, the lowest scoring team(s) can inflict restrictions on PCs from the highest scoring teams in future missions (chosen from a list or something so it doesn't get too obscene)? So if Team A has a wizard that is doing very well, the losing Team B could add a restriction that for the next mission, that PC can't cast spells, say.
    This is a fun idea, inflicting restrictions. In the spirit of chaos, though, how about instead of picking a restriction, you shoot a random one, that is in a pool of pre-determined restrictions. The random one would be randomly applied by the organizer... who will be fair and honest (maybe).

Here's a few examples, written quickly in the form of a "corruption"
    - Arcane forces around you are dampened! [PC cannot cast spells.]
    - Everything you touch seems to rot very quickly. [PC cannot hold any food (%).]
    - Your pack suddenly feels extraordinarily heavy. [PC cannot hold more than X Stones of items]
    - You suddenly become highly allerigic to various concoctions! [PC cannot drink potions]
    - You are permanently slightly confused. [PC cannot read anything]
    - Everything far away seems to be blurry. [PC cannot shoot missiles]
    - You feel so thirsty... [PC MUST drink every potion he/she comes across]
    - Nothing seems to happen when you wave these sticks around! [PC cannot use wands]
    - You have an insatiable desire to read and learn [PC must read every book/scroll, until it vanishes.]

Hmmm, don't forget about the less experienced players. If we don't want to exclude all the new forum members, we shouldn't make it too challanging.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Well, in ADOMPossible, each team has multiple PCs available for them to play (one per player, specifically). If one PC has a particularly nasty restriction on them, then that team can dump that character on one of their more experienced players. I'd have the restrictions only last for one round, so that harsh penalties can't accumulate.

What I'm never quite sure what to do about this challenge is how to handle PCs who die. I'd like to have it so that everyone can keep playing for the whole competition if they want to, so it'd be nice if there were a way to revive/reroll PCs in such a way that they wouldn't be too far behind.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I don't really like the idea of constantly changing restrictions for different characters, I think it would become too easy to lose track of what character is allowed to do what.

What I'm never quite sure what to do about this challenge is how to handle PCs who die. I'd like to have it so that everyone can keep playing for the whole competition if they want to, so it'd be nice if there were a way to revive/reroll PCs in such a way that they wouldn't be too far behind.
    How about this: if one player in the team kills a character, the team loses points and another team (or all other teams) are allowed to trade one of their own characters with the character that died. If they succeed with the savegame where the other team failed, they get a bonus.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Assuming there is turn limit per round [it should be at least to prevent excessive scumming] - you could simply allow to use save of previous round. There would be chance of continuing and penalty for needing considerably speed up. It depends on numbers but maybe some extra turns [like 25%extra] would be needed as I doubt that adompossible style 2 rounds in5k would be very doable.

I also like idea of having extra restrictions at random. First it gives initiative to prepare [like keep looking for good weapon on wizard], second on team with some advice should be able to pull off nastier combination.

Using save of previous round with added time seems sensible enough, I suppose, especially if individual missions aren't too long.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Man, just revisited TWL 2010 flamewar thread, a real gem I must say. http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...lamewar-Thread

I wonder if we can catch up to that level.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

So it looks like it may look something like this:
    -We'll organize into teams, ideally of around 4 players each.
    -Race/classes that each team will get will be decided in some manner or other (I like the idea of each team having a couple races and then drawing up lists of preferred classes that we did before, assuming we have enough players for that to make sense).
    -The teams are assigned a mission. Each player chooses one of the PCs from their team pool and attempts the mission. If you succeed, your team gets a point. If you die or fail to complete the mission in some other way, no points, obviously. The next missions will use the same PCs, but different players on the team will be playing them.
    -If a PC is killed, they can be restarted from the previous save in the next round, and attempt the current mission, with a bit of extra turns allotted to try to catch up in terms of equipment, levels, travel, etc. This may need to be adapted a bit if a PC dies several times in a row.
    -If a team wants to play on the server, they'll need to set up some way to backup their games with the admins in the event of deaths.
    -If your team has the lowest or second lowest score at the start of a round, you'll be able to afflict one PC on one of the remaining teams with a "corruption" that will add some restriction on that PC. This corruption will last for one round. The corruption will be chosen randomly from a list similar to Lfk's. Possibly the corruptions may get worse as the game goes on, we'll see.

As far as timing goes... I've currently drafted 9 missions each ~6000 turns long that takes us to the end of the game. Ideally, I'd aim to have this finish in about 6 weeks, since that seems to be about the point where people lose interest completely, so players would have 5 days per mission.

Seem reasonable? Anything I missed?

Prior to 1.2.0, there were exactly 20 classes, making 4 or 5 teams the ideal number of teams to have. Oh well.

I would say the best idea is to shoot for the same as was done before: 4 or 5 teams. Have each team submit class lists of their preferred choices, and go down the list in "draft" order, giving each team the top remaining available pick from their list. This will roster 20 heroes.

The 2 unpicked heroes can be assigned to solos if you want to allow one or two, or just disallow solos. (Screw them, they aren't team players.)

I don't even know why I'm discussing this, I probably don't really have time to play =( I can browse these forums at work... next best thing right?

Weel, if that is regular game with char swaps -meaning no restrictions and no missions like clean dwarftown from fecken dwarves - count me out. Simply too boring.