Thread: Sats?

Default Sats?

Hello everyone. I had an unimportant question about something that I noticed about ADOM years ago. What are goblins (and the various types of goblins) referring to when they say things like "Sow me da sats!", "Wo is der sats?", and "Me wants da sats!"? What on Earth does the word "sats" mean? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Superteeth View Post
    Hello everyone. I had an unimportant question about something that I noticed about ADOM years ago. What are goblins (and the various types of goblins) referring to when they say things like "Sow me da sats!", "Wo is der sats?", and "Me wants da sats!"? What on Earth does the word "sats" mean? Thanks in advance.
    The german word "Schatz" means treasure. In the german translations of Tolkien's work Gollum uses "Mein Schatzzzzz" for "My Preciousssssssss" when he refers to the ring.

That made more sense than I thought it would. Here I was thinking it was complete nonsense. Thomas Biskup sneaked in a lot of the German language in this game, didn't he? Although it would have made a lot more sense if the spelling was correct. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, there is so much more.

This one for example was a book I really loved as a kid:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I knew Hotzenplotz sounded like a German name. So does Kranf Niest. I think I read somewhere that one of the un-identified scroll names was also a German word.

Although it would have made a lot more sense if the spelling was correct.
    Tongue-in-cheek-Biskup wanted the term "Schatz" to be sounding like it was uttered by a lisping goblin with ssssuperteesssss (no joke, I really think so! )

just hade a nosthalgia look at this thread a year ago:

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...nplotz-is-dead

*Sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Nobbse View Post
    Tongue-in-cheek-Biskup wanted the term "Schatz" to be sounding like it was uttered by a lisping goblin with ssssuperteesssss (no joke, I really think so! )
    Yeah, I always imagine goblins having trouble enunciating the common tongue of whatever realm they're in.

So does Kranf Niest.
    Curiously, it can be respelled as Frankenstein, the name of another mad doctor.

well, Frank Stein (almost by reversal of each); surely the intent though
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.