Thread: ID your wands before use.

Default ID your wands before use.

Rolled a GE Assassin.
    Nice starting PV of 10.
    Got carpenter and cute dog quests.
    Went for the first kill (mugger) to bandit town.
    Then off to VD. Yrrigs saved, healing obtained. Lvl 10, 16 PV.
    Time for PC. Altar on PC:2 and, amazingly, PC:5, first one L, second N.
    Converted my char to L, then converted the other altar to L.
    Dropped a lot of stuff for status ID and got some holy water, scrolls of ID etc.
    Blessed wand of digging + scroll of charging = 6 charges, which allowed me to tweak the level a bit so the highway to my chopping block would lead warm bodies straight to me without any needless delays.
    Went to Terrinyo, got some food, back to the altar.
    Monster generation is huge on the cavernous levels so I got my precrown at around 9500 turns.
    Alyas Holy Scarf upped my PV to whopping 26. I hit level 11 somewhere in the middle of sacrificing session, so I was eligible for another precrown.
    The environment certainly permitted such an extensive milking of the holy cow named Corelius.
    Decided to round up some more monsters and of course got tangled up with black wizards summoning stuff, mixed with dark elven wizard, jackalwere and lots of colorful worms.
    I dispatched most of those with ease, stabbing with my orcish spear 1d8+4. Had poison resistance so spiders were not much of a problem.
    Find weakness and backstabbing at 100.

DE wizard was the last to be dealt with but I didn't feel like meleeing him, so I decided to zap a wand.
    I was pretty sure there had to be at least one wand of fire/cold in inventory so I picked a random one, while standing in a corridor.
    Yes, of course, it turned out to be a wand of hairy ball(s) lightning and of course casting direction was the worst of the eight possible.

67 HP turned into -93 in a blink of an eye. Such a promising char, such a stupid death. Maybe I was too greedy?
    If I left after the first precrown, none of this would have happened as I would instantly drop the wand in wilderness upon discovering its true, mischievous nature using a blessed scroll of identify (!) that I had all this time.
    I wanted to keep the scroll for later, to ID more treasure with a single reading...
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

FWIW, wands of ball lightning are always 4s wooden wands. The only other type of wand with these properties is wand of acid, so it's usually best just to avoid zap-IDing any wands of this type.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

If only I had known this beforehand...
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I love that even after 12 years of playing this game you can still learn something new (and die stupidly).