Thread: Learning to read [spoily]

Question Learning to read [spoily]

besides dark sages, sulphuric potions, potions of education and wishing, are there any other ways to attain literacy for adventurers without it?
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

Maybe the level 25 bard class power?
    "And light there be!"

I believe that speaking to the Ghost Librarian grants literacy at 100. [edit]Possibly only at the same time you get the weird tome.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    I believe that speaking to the Ghost Librarian grants literacy at 100. [edit]Possibly only at the same time you get the weird tome.
    Is that after being quiet for the requisite time, or just whenever?

The Ghost Librarian raises your Literacy to 100 if you have it - is it also possible to gain Literacy from it? I'd imagine at that point in the game every non-intentionally illiterate character has Literacy, so I wonder if it has ever been tried.

edit: bah, this is what I get for opening tabs and not reloading. Your Literacy is raised to 100 when you get the Weird Tome, as I recall.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

this is kind of the direction my question was going. is it possible to gain literacy from the ghost librarian or does he only increase it if you have it?
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

I can confirm that in 1.1.1, at least, receiving the weird tome from the Ghost Librarian automatically gives 100 Literacy even to illiterate characters.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I can confirm that it also works in later versions. Minor nitpick, sometimes your literacy is raised to / granted at a value just below 100.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.