Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't scratch the Snake

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Barbarian arrows are never slaying ammunition to my knowledge (this tactic would probably be a bit more dangerous otherwise), although they can have the "of slaying" suffix.

My tactic for the SfB these days is to throw a potion of cure poison at it, then berserk it with the best weapon available Don't forget to bless it for the +50% damage bonus.
    Yes, they only use ammo with the "of slaying" suffix, but that slays everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Harwin View Post
    Wait... potions of cure POISON work on the snake? I guess I could see them making him non-poisonous briefly...
    I forgot about that. I am not sure if they make it non-poisonous, but I know that they should stun it (at least, it works on Keriax, and then he wanders around for a good 20 turns).

Potions of cure poison stun any creature that uses poison, yes.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Superteeth View Post
    Yes, they only use ammo with the "of slaying" suffix, but that slays everything.

I forgot about that. I am not sure if they make it non-poisonous, but I know that they should stun it (at least, it works on Keriax, and then he wanders around for a good 20 turns).
    Yep, it works in version 1.2.0 prerelease 20, and it's a *serious* stunning. Easily long enough for most characters to kill him in berserk.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebrather View Post
    You may wish to use some cursed potions of invisibility or wonder as well, but I suggest to save it for ACW.
    After prerelease 7, that no longer works for either monster
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    After prerelease 7, that no longer works for either monster
    Just a query - confusion and blindness are 2 seperate effects. Are you 100% certain that both the ACW and the SFB are ~100% immune to both blindness *and* confusion?

I'm pretty sure blindness works for ACW, if I'm recalling correctly (paralysis does not, cursed potion of invis does).
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)

Quote Originally Posted by sylph View Post
    Just a query - confusion and blindness are 2 seperate effects. Are you 100% certain that both the ACW and the SFB are ~100% immune to both blindness *and* confusion?
    Oops, I missed the part where he mentioned potions of wonder, which indeed cause confusion. I haven't tried that and so can't comment, but I am 100% sure about blindness for both, since I verified it myself and it didn't work. Although now you mention it, I think someone once posted it can still be done if you throw several potions...

These nerfs are messing with my head
    "And light there be!"

Actually, reading your post, you're right: blindness and paralysis do not work on ACW, confusion (potion of wonder) does. Not sure why I got that backwards..

Ammunition of darkness still works on the ACW IIRC from my last game where I got that far.

Also: potions of cure poison are super-effective, perhaps TOO effective, against the Snake from Beyond. And any other poison-using monster, I suppose, although I usually save them to use on it.
    Last edited by magpie; 02-18-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Actually, reading your post, you're right: blindness and paralysis do not work on ACW, confusion (potion of wonder) does. Not sure why I got that backwards..
    Just played through the ToEF an hour ago with a duelist (p20), and happened to use an uncursed potion of blindness, which was the only disabler I had found. The Wyrm was staggering right away.