Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ADOM probably needs a couple of automatic features like DCSS has

That would be nice but totally break the game
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Recently started playing DCSS and in my eyes the automatic movement is a big downside of the game. In the first dungeon levels you litterally just press "o" 90% of the time and occasionally run into an enemy. Why the hack do you need such big dungeon levels if you don't want your players to take a minute or two to explore them? Although being bigger than a single screen, these levels subjectively feel a whole lot smaller than your average ADOM level and to me it's just no fun if the Computer plays a whole lot more than 50% of your turns for you. In my eyes auto-exploration doesn't feel like exploration at all and seriously kills the atmosphere. Even worse since the computer also picks up useful stuff for you, so practically you are left with only the pure fighting and almost nothing else to do. I don't even really focus on the items on the ground... if it has a green corner, I just press "o" and know that the CPU will somehow care about it for me.
    Last edited by GordonOverkill; 02-24-2014 at 05:08 AM.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

It would be nice to have a "travel to" command like in Nethack, where if you've already been explored an area you can just type _ and go there, but the computer will stop for items and monsters. It's like the w command but to go to a specific place. It's a nice comprimise between what Gordon describes, since each new level is still explored by the player, and manual backtracking each level as in adom.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonOverkill View Post
    Recently started playing DCSS and in my eyes the automatic movement is a big downside of the game. In the first dungeon levels you litterally just press "o" 90% of the time and occasionally run into an enemy. Why the hack do you need such big dungeon levels if you don't want your players to take a minute or two to explore them? Although being bigger than a single screen, these levels subjectively feel a whole lot smaller than your average ADOM level and to me it's just no fun if the Computer plays a whole lot more than 50% of your turns for you. In my eyes auto-exploration doesn't feel like exploration at all and seriously kills the atmosphere. Even worse since the computer also picks up useful stuff for you, so practically you are left with only the pure fighting and almost nothing else to do. I don't even really focus on the items on the ground... if it has a green corner, I just press "o" and know that the CPU will somehow care about it for me.
    Nothing is forcing you to use autoexplore if you dislike it for whatever reason. To me it's an option that reduces the time spent between interesting decisions.

I don't really feel the situation with dungeon floors is any better in ADOM as I said earlier, the floors are smaller but you're looking at going through 60-70 of them at least so the net effect is the same.

There are many things I detest about DCSS (though autoexplore isn't one of them), but I don't think we need to worry about autoexplore in ADOM. ADOM has much smaller floors than DCSS and much more predictable layouts of floors, so such a command isn't needed (and would actually be a pretty bad way to find the stairs).
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.