Thread: "You can't see anyone to swap places with"

Default "You can't see anyone to swap places with"

I had a pretty nice Ratling Chaos Knight going. Level 20, with red dragon scale mail, bracers of regeneration, both a phase dagger and an adamantium two-handed sword available to use, and all sorts of slaying quarrels which she was trained to use, but had not yet needed to. She had raided Darkforge (which was where the scale mail came from) and done the water temple without breaking a sweat, and I felt confident that she could handle the Tower of Eternal Flames. There was just one thing bothering me about her; she had started off with the mana battery and blot the sun corruptions, with mana battery in the first slot. I kind of wanted to use wands without destroying them.

She had literacy, a couple of teleport scrolls and teleport control, so converting to neutral and having a quick chat with the mystic sounded like a bright idea. However, her only light source had been destroyed at some point, and the altar was shrouded in darkness from her previous conversion to neutrality in order to get literacy (you can see where this is going). Not knowing if the neutral god would be angry with her, she had stripped naked, left her weaponry on the stairs and walked into the altar room. Of course the risk of punching the priest in the face occurred to me, but I saw him walking around outside the dark area, and just to be extra safe, I used :s to swap places with every bit of the darkness before moving into it. Turns out that didn't actually work. She killed a dwarftown citizen with one punch, and with no weapon, no armor and no items except for some gold and a si in the missile slot, she could do nothing to escape Waldenbrook's wrath. Oops.

Dual-wielding shields would have probably saved you
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    Dual-wielding shields would have probably saved you
    That would have been a much smarter plan indeed :P I don't know what I was thinking. Actually, I do. "Hm, if I equip two shields they'll probably end up cursed and I'll have to waste one of my numerous bottles of holy water... I'm sure it will be fine."

You were probably thinking the same thing I was, when I meleed that gray ooze in UC:5.
    "What could possibly happen? I should probably have -para from a pool and it most likely doesn't ignore PV."
    Wrong on both accounts. I could have just fireballed it, but I decided to berserk it with eternium two-hander and 8 DV.
    Sometimes in those crucial situations apparently our brains just cease to function for a brief moment and we end up dead
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    You were probably thinking the same thing I was, when I meleed that gray ooze in UC:5.
    "What could possibly happen? I should probably have -para from a pool and it most likely doesn't ignore PV."
    Wrong on both accounts. I could have just fireballed it, but I decided to berserk it with eternium two-hander and 8 DV.
    Sometimes in those crucial situations apparently our brains just cease to function for a brief moment and we end up dead
    TIL gray ooze paralyses...add gray ooze to the list of monsters i dislike!!