Thread: some beginners question

Default some beginners question

1.how many tiles can i mine/kick in a level before it may collapse(or does that only happen when kicking stairs?)
    2.what happens if i lure a boss to dwarftown?
    3.when should i keep drinking from pools? with 1 char i lost teleport control and gained teleportites . 1 of my current chars has afaik fire,cold and parallys intrinsic. although petrification could instakill me, gorgons seem pretty rare.(got all pools in darkforge still)
    4.how much learning would i need to be able to learn at least easy spells with a high succes rate?my lvl 19 monk has concentration 100,literacy 94, learning 18 but still got probs even with the light spell

thanks in advance

1. Only stairs afaik.
    2. If the boss is powerful it may kill some NPCs you'd rather have alive. Nothing that should stop you from completing the game, though.
    3. It's a gamble every time. If you really want a wish then you should never stop, just be prepared to deal with the possible negative effects.
    4. Non-spellcasting classes have a very hard time learning spells.

1. I'm not sure, I heard it can collapse if mined too much but I dunno if it's true and how much is too much.
    2. Apart from killing some NPC, some bosses may turn Dwarftown hostile to you, including the shopkeeper.
    3. It depends on your patience and dedication :3 You may stop when you get some nice things like a wish, permanent invisibility intrinsic (it has its drawbacks too though) and other nice intrinsics like paralysis, fire etc resistances, or you may drink to the end hoping for the second wish. If you are happy with your current intrinsics and don't want/need a wish to save Khelly or for something else, don't drink then. It's kind of annoying and dangerous with teleportisis though, so you should clear Darkforge first, also you should be prepared to deal with dooming (apart from obvious disadvantages, doomed characters cannot get wish from pools, so you should remove it before you continue drinking, it may be annoying if you get it every two sips), aging and losing teleport control.
    4. It's hard to tell exactly. Try learning higher than 20? Also bless the book. Improved ADoM guidebook has some calculations but it's still hard to tell exactly http://www.natrox.org/adom/improved/...-0-5.html#0515

All IGB stuff is invalid for 1.2.0, which has changed difficulty of learning spells hugely.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

thanks for the answers so far.

got some more questions

5. will i get a special message for gaining petrification resistance after eating a gorgon corpse?
    6. how does pickpock loot work? will i have better chance of good loot if the monster is harder or the danger lvl is higher?
    7. if i get a random artifact as loot, will it be marked somehow or just look like normal items?
    8. what spell levels do wands have?

Quote Originally Posted by Khroll View Post
    thanks for the answers so far.

got some more questions

5. will i get a special message for gaining petrification resistance after eating a gorgon corpse?
    I think you always get the resistance... but eating the corpse is not a good idea unless you already have it.

6. how does pickpock loot work? will i have better chance of good loot if the monster is harder or the danger lvl is higher?
    Your loot is based on the danger level of the area. Unless you are a level 32+ thief, the loot will be a random item with weight of 10s or less. Level 32 thieves preferentially acquire rare and valuable items.

7. if i get a random artifact as loot, will it be marked somehow or just look like normal items?
    Most artifacts have special names or weights even when unidentified. A few do not.

8. what spell levels do wands have?
    No idea. Wand damage/effectiveness seems to depend on bless/curse status as well as the PC's willpower and mana scores.

3.when should i keep drinking from pools? with 1 char i lost teleport control and gained teleportites . 1 of my current chars has afaik fire,cold and parallys intrinsic. although petrification could instakill me, gorgons seem pretty rare.(got all pools in darkforge still)
    It is usually a good idea to have a means to deal with dooming and teleportitis without control (ie. a spare blink dog corpse or appropriate ring/amulet). Many players prefer to wait until after the Arena is completed in case they get intrinsic invisibility. Honestly, in the very early game, it's not a terrible idea to gamble on a pool, esp. if you have poison resist so the inevitable snakes won't kill you. Getting a few good intrinsics or a wish can be a great boon, and if you die, well, you haven't invested much time into the PC.

Normally, if I'm sipping pools and not looking for a wish, I'm usually hoping for either intrinsic invisibility or paralysis resist, or maybe an early fate smiles. Most of the other intrinsics are easy enough to acquire through safer means, or aren't important enough to care about.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 03-10-2014 at 07:36 PM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

That's a good question. As far as I know the odds of getting it are extremely low, and in practice gorgon corpses will either petrify you if you don't have petrification resistance from an item, or just satiate otherwise.
    "And light there be!"

i have to keep asking :/ died soo many times.
    im doing the minotaur maze the 1rs time and just found out that and im cursed + doomed(ups). also i got the manabattery corruption down there, so i cant use my teleport wand(got 2 teleport scrolls though). i got like 11 ultra/extra healing pots and not enough piety to get healed. i wonder if i should try the emperor nevertheless(im at lvl 6 and getting back would be a great afford since i used some teleport traps to move around). im a lvl 26 monk with 65DV 42 PV 379 HP. My speed is 136 and i i got a trident.i attached a character log.
    besides, i got some other questions

9. what effect does a minotaur king corpse have?
    10. even with using 2 rings of the clear mind, the mages confusions seem to always work. should i just wear other rings?
    11. how are the odds to succesfully create remove corruption scrolls? with my wizard i succeeded 3 of 3 times but i guess a monk is a different story.

thanks.again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mages are always confusing you because you're doomed (w/ the rings of the clear mind, you'd be permanently confused). I would get undoomed before doing anything else - you've done the hard part (exploring), so it won't be hard to get back to ML6, and not being doomed/cursed will mean you can do it + ML7 in relative safety.

9. -Wi +Pe. Do not eat any minos except Mino Emp, they aren't worth it.
    10. see above.
    11. 100%
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Running around in the Maze while doomed seems a bit crazy to me, but given how far you've already made it, I'd be tempted to say you try to finish it off if you can.

9. [edit]Sorry, this is only for the Emperor corpse. Misread you. In pre20, it gives a large amount of St and To, at the expense of Wi. It also corrupts a fair bit. Generally worth it. The emperor drops a potion of cure corruption or two that is normally enough to offset the corrupting effects.

10. You're doomed. You will pretty much never resist. However, the confusion will last much longer if you aren't wearing the rings. Stun ray works pretty well on mino mages, btw. though maybe not when you're doomed.

11. Monks can actually write scrolls without penalty and are quite good at it. Not recommended while doomed as you'll probably destroy your writing set on first try regardless of success/failure.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.