Thread: why can't i be more careful?

Default why can't i be more careful?

Found an altar on PC cavernous level and got precrowned with The Far Slayer with a lvl 8 Dark Elven Archer, what else can you wish in the beginning of a game?

I step on the altar to check if the crude spear i picked up earlier is not cursed (which apparently was an orcish spear of slaughtering, not bad at this time in the game), even if i see a werewolf. Ofcourse a werewolf can't pray to his gods, i think. The next thing i see is:

The werewolf prays to his gods and you are consumed by roaring flames!

DAMN!

I have a shitload of deaths due to me being sloppy and not paying attention .

Play it safe. Chaotic altars are always dangerous to step on.
    Learn to learn.

Yeah this is part of the reason I almost never crown or precrown C - the risk of being sacced is too great.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I lost a lvl 15 HE Archer due to not being careful enough yesterday - DH1, 70 HP out of max 90. "That door's probably not trapped, and even if it is I've got plenty of HP". Blam! -19 HP...

The irony being, I was sure I was going to be killed by some hilarious RNG revenge - by the time I dived to Dwarftown I had picked up as random loot AoLS, 2 RoIce, wands of paralysation, poison and death. Probably knock too.

Rule of thumb: you can never be too careful. But it is a bit boring.
    Last edited by LexyBoy; 04-11-2014 at 03:40 PM.
    Gate closers: L+ DE Mindcrafter (p20), N= Gnomish Assasin (p20), N= Gnomish Mindcrafter (p23), N= Ratling Ranger (R49)

It was my first time trying a chaotic precrowning. I usually play neutral, but precrowning is so tedious as a N, half the monsters are same alignment and it drags you to N=. I even got crowned once as champion of balance despite being N+ ( should've redraw screen, i guess).

Now i am mostly trying L precrowns. It is a lot easier than N and not as risky as C. The problem is getting back to N for Yergius training and getting blink dogs for TC.