Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Dwarven Halls are neat.

I think this may make DH2 much worse, but isn't necessarily bad for the rest of the game. Perhaps DH2 needs to be scaled back to DL 30-35. Would prevent easy SoFS abuse there too.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

That looks amazing - I played a bit of p21 last night and loved the increased amount of monsters found in dungeons, as well as the fact that they aren't all hostile and also fight each other on occassion. Haven't reached DH yet, but it looks to be a very fun place to clear for later in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    That looks amazing - I played a bit of p21 last night and loved the increased amount of monsters found in dungeons, as well as the fact that they aren't all hostile and also fight each other on occassion. Haven't reached DH yet, but it looks to be a very fun place to clear for later in the game.
    The thing is that the DH quest is an early-game quest, and in the late game you already have the deep CoC which is roughly equivalent to DH (I think DH2 has a danger level equivalent to D:30, D:40 or something like that). So there is not much point or much new added by clearing DH at that point.

You're right, but for some reason I seem to recall much nastier spawns appearing in DH than what I encountered in D:30-40. Last game I took out a Black Wyrm for great experience when I was stopped by the fire wall, so you can get lucky and drop some very powerful monsters before you have access to the lower CoC levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    You're right, but for some reason I seem to recall much nastier spawns appearing in DH than what I encountered in D:30-40. Last game I took out a Black Wyrm for great experience when I was stopped by the fire wall, so you can get lucky and drop some very powerful monsters before you have access to the lower CoC levels.
    That's because DH:2 has a DL of 45 (DH:1, a DL of 40).
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

To be fair, I was rumbling incessantly on the IRC yesterday surviving in the lower CoC (mostly thanks to being a spellcaster), but there is a certain charm to the whole deal. To the point when Maze feels like a real quite and safe place and clearing a greater fire vault was a complete cakewalk.

Also, I don't know the exact effect of lowered corruption rates, but I managed to get 1 extra corruption after spending truckload of turns on D:46 clearing the aforementioned vault, which seems like a complete pace-breaker. I guess something might had to do with 30+ Ap and L+, but it's like you don't need any corruption removal whatsoever now

From my experience pure melee builds will now be even less viable than spellcasting, because constant dealing with a mixture of great wyrms, molochs and liches is a pain.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

After Avatar of Order ending -

Currently you are plagued by:
    DL 0-10 - *no changes*
    DL 10-15 - *balanced monster spawn*
    DL 15-20 - werewolf lords
    DL 20-25 - *nothing*
    DL 25-30 - berserker emperors
    DL 30-35 - diamond golems, ancient dragons (especially karmic)
    DL 35-40 - titans
    DL 40-45 - lich kings, summoning everyting in alarming numbers
    DL 45-50 - greater titans, great karmic wyrms, greater molochs, emperor liches, balors

http://ancardia.uk.to/adom_users/asdf/elf.flg

Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post
    After Avatar of Order ending -

Currently you are plagued by:
    DL 0-10 - *no changes*
    DL 10-15 - *balanced monster spawn*
    DL 15-20 - werewolf lords
    DL 20-25 - *nothing*
    DL 25-30 - berserker emperors
    DL 30-35 - diamond golems, ancient dragons (especially karmic)
    DL 35-40 - titans
    DL 40-45 - lich kings, summoning everyting in alarming numbers
    DL 45-50 - greater titans, great karmic wyrms, greater molochs, emperor liches, balors
    These monsters are the most dangerous generated on those levels, yes. For me they were not the prevalent monsters, I still saw decent variety and some low level monsters on occasion.
    Learn to learn.

What if Dwarven Halls started with monsters generated at a high DL, but respawned as if it were the appropriate DL? The Dwarven Elder says a bunch of stuff moved in - if you clear it out - maybe it gets safer. So there'd be benefit to "clearing" it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Harwin View Post
    What if Dwarven Halls started with monsters generated at a high DL, but respawned as if it were the appropriate DL? The Dwarven Elder says a bunch of stuff moved in - if you clear it out - maybe it gets safer. So there'd be benefit to "clearing" it out?
    I don't think you can clear it out at that stage of the game.

Edit - Oh yeah, my DH:2 had 46 different monsters at generation and at most 2 of the same.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 04-24-2014 at 09:09 PM.
    Learn to learn.