View Poll Results: What is your preferred solution to improve missile reloading in ADOM?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make missile reloading spend no in-game time

11 17.19%
  • Totally remove the variety of arrows except for material and prefixes/suffixes

28 43.75%
  • Partially remove the variety of arrows (e.g. keep +2,1d6+2; +0,1d6 and -2,1d6-2, but not others)

16 25.00%
  • Allow the player to voluntarily "blunt" his arrows to remove their boni

4 6.25%
  • Implement a way to mark or bundle a set of different missiles for auto-reloading

19 29.69%
  • Create a quiver item to store arrows so that arrows in the quiver will be auto-reloaded

22 34.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Poll: preferred solution to archery woes?

Quote Originally Posted by Laukku View Post
    This. Make it so that any time a single missile is generated its stats are (+0, 1d6)
    This would definitely be a change for the better, but only a partial fix.

Consider for example the situation after you have only one or three left from the original stack of +2 missiles. Do you continue to use them or drop them and switch to the large stack of +0 missiles in favor of smoother gameplay? I have been doing the latter for years, even with the less important slayers. It just is strangely annoying to have to halt a fight to choose another (small) stack of missiles.

ADOM is an old-school game and we all want it to stay like that. But, having played some old favorites after 10-15 years I was astonished to see how annoying and frustrating they could be to play compared to the (often too) streamlined modern games.

Quote Originally Posted by Laukku View Post
    This. Make it so that any time a single missile is generated its stats are (+0, 1d6), and allow variation only when a whole stack is generated.
    big stacks don't stay big for long if they get used. soon enough they'll end up as little bundles of 4 or 5 and you're back to the same problem

My two cents. Quiver is best choise. Nobody thinks that removing gloves before ring change is annoying? Same here. And quivers can have some prefixes\suffixes too (or\and be different by size, or\and be extendable by talents). Large stacks, that generated can be in quivers all the time - nothing wrong with it. If the game will ask me for adding picked arrow(s) to quiver (ONLY if quiver is equipped) like now if missile slot is empty to equip (with variable in .cfg) - it will be good - micromanagement will go from the heat of a fight to a relatively calm treasure harvesting.

P.S. Some purses for thrown rocks are needed for a little ones too Bandoliers for daggers (and another ones for potions(!). Let's say three potions per item) maybe also - it's too annoying to manualy equip dagger every time, since they are not counted as missile weapon for autoreload.

P.P.S. Sorry, if I'm repeating someone's words.

Quote Originally Posted by Masque View Post
    Nobody thinks that removing gloves before ring change is annoying?
    Actually everyone (16-0) thinks that this is annoying.
    http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=2983

Oops. So I'm the chosen one and must go for the water chip. See ya

IMHO, this type of micromanagement is good. It isn't routine (you aren't forced to change rings every turn, like reloading arrows one by one), but keeps some atmospheric feeling. IMAHO, this can be even more complicated - you can't unequip chainmail without unequipping the same gauntlets or helm.

Going through the multiple bug reports and rfes regarding this, it seems the two solutions that TB would actually be inclined to implement would be either "totally remove the variety of to-hit and to-damage modifiers" or "implement a way to mark or bundle a set of different missiles for auto-reloading ". Given this, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a repeat of the poll with just those two options. I'm partial to the latter, as it would also take care of the problem of unstacking poisoned missiles.
    Last edited by aerol; 08-21-2016 at 10:23 PM.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

I've got no issues with reloading other than sorted ammo would be nice, even better a choice to sort alphabetically or by stacksize.