View Poll Results: What is your preferred solution to improve missile reloading in ADOM?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make missile reloading spend no in-game time

11 17.19%
  • Totally remove the variety of arrows except for material and prefixes/suffixes

28 43.75%
  • Partially remove the variety of arrows (e.g. keep +2,1d6+2; +0,1d6 and -2,1d6-2, but not others)

16 25.00%
  • Allow the player to voluntarily "blunt" his arrows to remove their boni

4 6.25%
  • Implement a way to mark or bundle a set of different missiles for auto-reloading

19 29.69%
  • Create a quiver item to store arrows so that arrows in the quiver will be auto-reloaded

22 34.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poll: preferred solution to archery woes?

Default Poll: preferred solution to archery woes?

It seems that every ADOM player agrees that the current UI for archery leaves to be desired, but there is not so much agreement about what is the worse problem (investment of game time in reloading? Spending of real-life time reloading? Inventory clutter?) and what is the preferred solution.

Note that you can choose multiple options... if you select the quiver, please also select at least one other option as TB has said he will not implement the quiver due to being too much work (but I include it for informative reasons).

am I missing something? don't see no poll.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Sorry. I now actually created the poll

well, I think "Implement a way to mark or bundle a set of different missiles for auto-reloading" is by far the most obvious and best solution (though it's basically a quiver). I'd be curious to hear what other people think, though.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Agreed with SirTheta. Sorry.
    Learn to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    well, I think "Implement a way to mark or bundle a set of different missiles for auto-reloading" is by far the most obvious and best solution (though it's basically a quiver). I'd be curious to hear what other people think, though.
    It does not solve inventory clogging issue. It still requires manually check every stray single missile in clogged inventory. So i've voted for removing arrow variety. Large stacks of arrows is the only way to minimize unnecessary actions during active archer gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post
    Large stacks of arrows is the only way to minimize unnecessary actions during active archer gameplay.
    This. Also, it is fast and easy to implement as I understand, and therefore unlikely to introduce new bugs.

I agree with asdf here. Bundling is great in theory, but it's a unintuitive design, confusing for new players. And worse, you'd still be doing micromanagement. Every time you find a new arrow you'd have to mark it as part of your bundle.

I'm starting to think that removing missile variety is best. Unfortunately that doesn't help when you're throwing daggers, so I'm not really decided yet.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I'm torn on this one, but feel the best choice is to limit the variety in missile weapons. As grobblewobble mentioned though, it doesn't factor in throwing daggers (or spears)..

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    It provides very similar functionality but TB said the quiver was too much work to implement (understandably, due to ADOM not having container items) while the marking/bundling was feasible.

This is also the best solution IMHO.