View Poll Results: What is your preferred solution to improve missile reloading in ADOM?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make missile reloading spend no in-game time

11 17.19%
  • Totally remove the variety of arrows except for material and prefixes/suffixes

28 43.75%
  • Partially remove the variety of arrows (e.g. keep +2,1d6+2; +0,1d6 and -2,1d6-2, but not others)

16 25.00%
  • Allow the player to voluntarily "blunt" his arrows to remove their boni

4 6.25%
  • Implement a way to mark or bundle a set of different missiles for auto-reloading

19 29.69%
  • Create a quiver item to store arrows so that arrows in the quiver will be auto-reloaded

22 34.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poll: preferred solution to archery woes?

I think partial reduction of variety is enough.
    Also, voluntarily "blunt" some arrows is a good idea though perhaps it should be phrased differently because no archer would ever willingly worsen their arrows just to be able to put them in the same quiver.
    I don't like the marking mechanism, it still consumes lots of time and leaves a messy inventory. I'd rather have complete removal of variation instead of having to mark arrows.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Remove some or all of the variety with missiles.

1-easy to code (and therefore more likely to happen)
    2-subsequently should be a bug-free change
    3-no micromanagement. You might save yourself time reloading and sorting through which missiles you want to use with some sort of bundling system but you're still wasting time bundling in the first instance.

Thrown weapons loose out here but I think it's less of a deal. You can milk orcs and traps for large piles of identical stacking weapons easily enough. Being that they weigh a hell of a lot more you're unlikely to get our to carry such huge stacks as you might do with arrows or quarrels.

I would like to see the missile variety removed except for suffix/material.

It would also be really cool if there could be an autopickup option just for missiles which have already been thrown/fired.

Probably simplest to implement would be autoreload option, that would just get rid of the 'Reload with x?' prompt. All micromanagement required would be dropping all special ammo and picking it up so it lands in the end of autoreload queue. No change to mechanic (archers are OP, removing turn to load will just boostem more), just another config option

Actually I'm fine with the way archery works. But less variety wouldn't be a bad thing, so that's what I voted for.

Quote Originally Posted by szopin View Post
    archers are OP, removing turn to load will just boostem more
    Removing turn to load won't boost an archer, since any sane archer will be sure not to need that turn during a fight, or load while being safe, i.e. few steps away.

It would, though, remove the unnecessary tedium of micromanagement of dealing with missiles.

One thing I'd like to see implemented is when manually selecting bolts or arrows for reloading the missile slot to only showing items appropriate to the bow or crossbow, which ever is being used. That way you don't have to scan through a list of arrows to find a quarrel. This is already the case when using slings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    One thing I'd like to see implemented is when manually selecting bolts or arrows for reloading the missile slot to only showing items appropriate to the bow or crossbow, which ever is being used. That way you don't have to scan through a list of arrows to find a quarrel. This is already the case when using slings.
    Please, post an RFE about that. This is excellent suggestion and would help archers a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post
    Please, post an RFE about that. This is excellent suggestion and would help archers a lot too.
    I have posted the RFE a while back. I don't feel like looking for it.

A tip to Rogue: You can hit the enter key and type arro or quarr or drag or undea or Aim if you be so lucky. e: Post-p20 that is.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 04-29-2014 at 10:28 AM.
    Learn to learn.

I agree that the Quiver would be the best option, but I really do think it would be incredibly cumbersome to code it into the game.

However, I'm a huge fan of the "remove varieties" option. It was actually the first idea that popped into my head when I read the thread title.