Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Animated forest of tedium

Probably slightly less insane but my last character that got there entered DH1 in dark room. Monster detected and found the place was packed, and there were 3 monsters in the fairly smaller-than-average room i was in. All typical nasty DH stuff with a few greater-nasties. Obviously I left the lights off and fled tail between my legs. After leveling up a bit and going through the forest I tried going up through DH2. Same detail, about 4 or 5 monsters, giants, a red quickling (a queen?), usual stuff. Again I ran.

This is my problem. What I liked about it previously was that there was a chance to creep through in your tip-toes like a hobbit hoping to avoid the 5 or 6 proper hard monsters, doubling back if ever there was trouble, trying to find a different route, coming back with another plan if my route to the other stairs became blocked. Really thrilling stuff, and made you have think and use every trick in the book if you couldn't just fight and teleport your way to the goal. With 30-odd monsters on each level and a decent-sized welcome party by each staircase this can't happen.

I have to say this though: with a lot more monsters being generated non-hostile (not gunna call them friendly!) things probably wouldn't have been that bad. Maybe 3 out of 5 hostile and there would be a good chance some of those would be attacking each other. Makes traversing such areas a little easier.

Well I found DH in p23 almost empty. DH:1 generated with 6 monsters, DH:2 with 31 (but most were locked in a tension room). What was left roaming around was fairly high-level, but not overwhelmingly so, I remember fire giant, frost giant jarl, hydra, greater mummy...

Arrgghh I forget about p23! I've been trying to finish my last p22 game so I haven't downloaded it yet. Good to hear that.