Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Animated forest of tedium

Default Animated forest of tedium

So I haven't done the animated forest in years due to increased confidence, knowledge of the game and it just being a waste of my time. Now the DH is a 2 level deathtrap I find myself looking at the animated forest a bit more favourably. Accept it's nothing like i remember. About 3 in 4 trees are hostile and there seems to be so many more of them, or at least less free space. This is results in quickly becoming surrounded with trees, most of which won't move if there's space (which there probably isn't) because they want to attack you. I've managed to get across and back ok, but it's has taken me (not the character) far too long to do it. I think my character, a dwarf monk, had it fairly easy with high st, to, pv and dv, all the nice monk talents, and a ring of invisibility. Is it me or is it worse? How are people getting across with doing the DH? I'm gunna use the darkforge backdoor when i next have to decend that far. I know it's a bug exploit but i think it's worth the boredom or certain death.

I almost always go through DH, because the Animated Forest takes, as you say, way too much time.
    When I truly have to cross the forest, I either have a character that can just hold 7 (but you can obviously not do it too much times, as the trees soon turn into balor trees) or I just dig a convenient path in the walls, where only a few trees will be generated.
    Or you can just have a wizard with 99 willpower and work your way by fireballing everything

AF probably needs to be toned down more. I don't know if something changed in p21/p22, but its tedium was reduced in some prerelease, and I went through it afterwards and it was an okay area. Maybe something changed in p21/p22, but 3/4 trees hostile sounds like either exaggeration or huge change accidentally implemented.

taickyto: Holding any key is an awful idea... Just take your time and play carefully.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

I went through AF recently in p22 after fleeing like a chicken from an ancient karmic dragon guarding the downstairs of DH:2, and I didn't find any difference with respect to previous versions.

no exaggeration! occasionally a path would open and i'd wriggle through then i'd find myself surrouded. a quick 'l'ook around and best 2 of the 8 trees surrounding me would not be hostile. occasionally yeah it might be 3, but occasionally they'd all hostile too. i found a helm of teleportation and a book of far sight so i could hop between holes in the trees, but there does seem to be more than before (god knows what version that was, before 1.1.1 probably), maybe due to the general increased monster numbers. sadly the decreased hostility found everywhere else hasn't reached the forest. i've taken to big punching a path through the forest, but this was a quest i could do even elven wizards holding a couple of sheilds and gulping down a few potions of invisibility. not anymore! probably just a bunch of monk-haters

I think the forest is a *lot* less tedious now that we can see which trees are hostile. I really like it as it is!
    My orc thief just died.

It's a super annoying area I dread having to deal with, especially multiple times. I wish there was some kind of shortcut opened up after you've passed through it once, maybe back to DT after completing the quest?
    Last edited by heavensblade23; 05-04-2014 at 11:41 PM.

I don't know if the forest has changed, but i remember passing through it easier in 1.1.1 than in p20. It's only easy to pass through it if you have on demand controlled teleportation, otherwise you get surrounded frequently and have to skip turns untill a gap opens up.

I don't mind the animated forest too much - if you have invis it doesn't take THAT long to get through. There are not nearly as many trees as there used to be so you never have to wait more than few turns to move. If you have on demand TP one thing I like to do is dig a small section right next to each stairs and put a door there (leaving one space behind the door to jump to) - makes it pretty quick to get through.

I attempted to go through the DH and cleared a tension room of clay golems, but when a Titan dropped me to 1/3rd HP I got my scrawny wizard behind out of there pronto. Won't be going back there anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    If you have on demand TP one thing I like to do is dig a small section right next to each stairs and put a door there (leaving one space behind the door to jump to) - makes it pretty quick to get through.
    i was wondering about that, whether it filled the screen as much as the big room does and how much you can dig in it...

i've just taken to tanking from one side to the other swinging big punch now. slow but steady going.