Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Animated forest of tedium

If you have invis and dual shields (100 stealth is probably good enough too), it takes only a few minutes to get to the other side. Without invis, it's much more tedious because the hostile trees will slowly congregate around you.

I've seen people dig tunnels to pass parts of the AF before. I think you can definitely make one across the bottom row. Don't remember about the top. Definitely not the sides.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

It's extremely easy with 7LBs, very high speed, teleportitis plus controll etc. Crossed the forest with 7LBs in 2:07 minutes in one of my recent episodes. With slower chars i usually walk close to the walls and fight hostile trees during the turns when there is no chance to progress. It's a little tedious but not too bad in my eyes.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by GordonOverkill View Post
    It's extremely easy with 7LBs, very high speed, teleportitis plus controll etc. Crossed the forest with 7LBs in 2:07 minutes in one of my recent episodes. With slower chars i usually walk close to the walls and fight hostile trees during the turns when there is no chance to progress. It's a little tedious but not too bad in my eyes.
    This is almost how I approach it, but I tend to stay away from the walls wherever possible, and move into a blank square even if it doewsn't get me closer to my goal, as long as it isn't moving away. This stops me getting surrounded.
    My orc thief just died.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    If you have invis and dual shields (100 stealth is probably good enough too), it takes only a few minutes to get to the other side. Without invis, it's much more tedious because the hostile trees will slowly congregate around you.

I've seen people dig tunnels to pass parts of the AF before. I think you can definitely make one across the bottom row. Don't remember about the top. Definitely not the sides.
    You can dig a tunnel on all four sides I'm assuming then, because the last time I did my tunnels were on the right side and top and it came down from the top on the left to next to the stairs there.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 05-05-2014 at 09:44 PM.
    Learn to learn.

I'm fairly sure it has the same dimensions as the big room. You can tunnel right (and block the path with a door and then use wands [for speed, or just continue digging but it's far so chances of a broken pickaxe before you finish are rather high] to tunnel up and then left around it all. It's definitely wasteful on digging resources but if you got a lot and your DH are deadly (as they do seem in the new prereleases) then it can be worth it if your going to go back and forth a couple times and don't want to lose your mind.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

Yes, typically I pass through the forest around 6-8 times a game. It's not all that tedious really. You must just make sure to get into openings when they appear and kill off the hostile trees.
    Learn to learn.

Well yeah that's what I used too do, invisibility, double shields, wait for the spaces etc. I guess I'm just unlucky!

I have no problem with the forest as it is.
    It has always been a choice between tedium and danger.
    I usually have no problems getting through the forest without harm and I normally do so only twice or three times.
    Once I discover the other side of DH, I have the whole place mapped and with 1-2 potions of booze and guaranteed wand of tele, I subsequently take DH path every time.
    Occasionally with some nasty stuff spawning there, I might consider returning later or going through the forest again but really, how often do you actually have to pass through the forest in the course of a single game?
    2-4 times is typically maximum in my case and it's always doable, without having to kill a single tree while there, only some that will follow me down/upstairs.

EDIT: Digging a tunnel doesn't help. The trees will be spawned there.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I think it's changed during new prerelease. The pictures of the dwarven halls look stupid difficult - I'm fairly sure now it would require major luck to cross safely or 1 blessed scrolls of magic mapping + wands of tele + booze and it'd still might be a risk.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrnyx View Post
    I think it's changed during new prerelease. The pictures of the dwarven halls look stupid difficult - I'm fairly sure now it would require major luck to cross safely or 1 blessed scrolls of magic mapping + wands of tele + booze and it'd still might be a risk.
    That was in p21, but in p22 that was tweaked and it should be back to normal (I say "should" because I haven't played enough games to be sure if it really is, but in the game I did play, it seemed fine, exciting as before but not impossible with some skill and luck).