Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ASCII mode sucksssssssss!!

Oh dear *puts on flameproof suit*

1) Could you please be more specific, what kind of detection and what's wrong with it now?
    2-3) Are you playing the public pre-relase? It is quite slow. There have been some serious performance improvements in later closed pre-release versions.
    4) Not sure if you have general performance in mind or the tedious UI (or lack of it ). Improvements are planned in both cases, however any sort of UI is planned further down the line as it wasn't part of the campaign. Though a glimpse of things to come might happen in the next pre-
    5) Same as 2-3, in later versions karmic beings have a looped color changing animation.

ASCII will always be there, it wouldn't speed anything up if we decided to drop it. And even if it did I don't think we'd ever take that route, that's just not what the Campaign was about. Also, forcing people out of stuff they thoroughly enjoy is just plain bad manners It's cool that thanks to NOTEye we can boost ASCII as well, with SAGE features and little optional improvements like health bars.

Quote Originally Posted by divij View Post
    omg so many supporters of ascii mode.....see the point is that if u want adom to improve then focus on complexity rather than tradition..it is 1 thing to say that u lv ascii another to say its better...it CERTAINLY ISNT better. yes a part of it is non-association of characters and units but part of it is because it feels old fashioned like im playing in the 20th century...this thread reminds me of the whole nationalism vs patriotism debate and u ppl are just being nationalists....it is true because it true because i said it is true blah blah blah
    This is a waste of time and sanity. I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by divij View Post
    omg so many supporters of ascii mode.....see the point is that if u want adom to improve then focus on complexity rather than tradition..it is 1 thing to say that u lv ascii another to say its better...it CERTAINLY ISNT better. yes a part of it is non-association of characters and units but part of it is because it feels old fashioned like im playing in the 20th century...this thread reminds me of the whole nationalism vs patriotism debate and u ppl are just being nationalists....it is true because it true because i said it is true blah blah blah
    Oh crap, I am not a nationalist at all, so I should better stop liking ASCII as quick as possible x-D
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenmore View Post
    Oh dear *puts on flameproof suit*

1) Could you please be more specific, what kind of detection and what's wrong with it now?
    2-3) Are you playing the public pre-relase? It is quite slow. There have been some serious performance improvements in later closed pre-release versions.
    4) Not sure if you have general performance in mind or the tedious UI (or lack of it ). Improvements are planned in both cases, however any sort of UI is planned further down the line as it wasn't part of the campaign. Though a glimpse of things to come might happen in the next pre-
    5) Same as 2-3, in later versions karmic beings have a looped color changing animation.

ASCII will always be there, it wouldn't speed anything up if we decided to drop it. And even if it did I don't think we'd ever take that route, that's just not what the Campaign was about. Also, forcing people out of stuff they thoroughly enjoy is just plain bad manners It's cool that thanks to NOTEye we can boost ASCII as well, with SAGE features and little optional improvements like health bars.
    how do u tell in normal mode when using wand of item detection where the item is? the map keeps shifting left right top bottom. i think its much easier in ascii mode. also toef is almost impossible in normal mode i have to do it in ascii and i have decent comp..not gr8 bt decent

Press F10 for a quick switch into ASCII mode and back.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

I love that tiled mode is considered "normal mode" in your mind, when tiles were only added 8 months ago and ASCII has been around for what, 15 years?

IMHO, tiled mode is nice to look at, but if you actually want to win, you should play ASCII. Simply the fact that you can see the entire map at once gives you a huge strategic advantage. Also, it's easier to play ASCII mode at work because it doesn't look like a game I haven't played the most recent version on tiled, but the last one I tried was unbearably slow as well.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Aaah, the item detection spell, good point there. Best to submit an RFE for that kind of stuff, easier to keep track of issues that need looking at.

TOEF seems to work pretty well in p22 from what I've seen. Like I said, really noticeable performance boost since the last open-for-all release. Especially when it comes to missiles, forests and animated stuff like ToEF or the Underwater Cave.
    Further improvements are coming, though it's not as easy as it seems, there's much more to NOTEye than meets the eye.

Minimap shifting is also optional in latest pre-'s: you can right-click and drag it to a desired location and it will stay there, or just right click it once to make it stay in it's current location
    Unless you're in the closed prerelease programme you're missing out on some stuff Not sure when the next open pre- is coming.
    Last edited by Ravenmore; 05-05-2014 at 12:44 PM.

People who use ASCII mode aren't playing the game right.
    "And light there be!"

For a yell effect it's better to say that it suuuuuuuuucks. If you say it suckssssss, it sounds a bit like Gollum talking about his preciousssss.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonOverkill View Post
    Oh crap, I am not a nationalist at all, so I should better stop liking ASCII as quick as possible x-D
    you just concentrate on ur yiutube channel and post more videos of u playing adom cause i need my daily fix
    since the past 2 days ive chkd ur channel and no new videos..just 2day u uploaded 1!!
    also the time u wer searching for food u had a blessed stomaphilia in ur inventory zzzzzzzz