Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ASCII mode sucksssssssss!!

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    If it were fast enough, I'd probably play the ASCII version of tiled mode so I still have the benefit of health bars...

Rushing water in gremlin cave is caused by water traps being activated. You can suppress message spam in one of the config files.
    That's what i do, ASCII all the way but i love the healthbars.

How do you do that? i used to know a bit of code when i was younger but i barely manage message board tags now! I'd love to be able to get rid of the monster-is-trapped-in-yet-another-bloody-web messages!

There's a file called "adom.msg" in your /adom_dat folder (Windows machine). In it you can adjust colours of different statements (so stat drains and critical hits show up red, say), and suppress others (Arena/ToEF spam) entirely. I think there's a tutorial on how to use it in the readme, or you could probably just grab a reasonably well setup one from someone (eg. the one on the server) and use that.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I've always enjoyed playing in ASCII and do love it. My last playthrough though was 100% done in tile mode and seriously it is not that bad if you setup your Mini-map size properly to orientate yourself. Also you get plenty of benefits from playing in tile mode. You can outright see both what your HP and monsters' is and whether they/you are hostile/confused/stunned/bleeding/panicking/raging, etc.

Quite fabulous.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 05-05-2014 at 10:45 PM.
    Learn to learn.

I love that tiled mode is considered "normal mode" in your mind, when tiles were only added 8 months ago and ASCII has been around for what, 15 years?
    I think he has a good point that the tiled mode needs more polish if it's to be considered good enough for the likes of Steam. Most new players will go straight for the tiles. At the moment most of the testing I think is done in ASCII by longer term players. We need fresh perspectives on the game.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I think he has a good point that the tiled mode needs more polish if it's to be considered good enough for the likes of Steam. Most new players will go straight for the tiles. At the moment most of the testing I think is done in ASCII by longer term players. We need fresh perspectives on the game.
    As a fairly new player I prefer the ascii. While it may have been originally used out of necessity, the game has been built for that type of display for twenty years. No matter how much the tiles are streamlined, I don't think they will ever measure up to the ascii, because the entire game would have to be redesigned for that. In addition to all the strategic aspects like quickly discerning locations, I feel that a lot of the flavor is lost with the tiles. The graphics are more cute than realistic or vague, so they remove the remove the room for imagination that ascii allows. This might be ok in a game like nethack, but adom takes itself more seriously with the atmosphere and story, so the graphics can break the immersion for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yinghei View Post
    As a fairly new player I prefer the ascii. While it may have been originally used out of necessity, the game has been built for that type of display for twenty years. No matter how much the tiles are streamlined, I don't think they will ever measure up to the ascii, because the entire game would have to be redesigned for that. In addition to all the strategic aspects like quickly discerning locations, I feel that a lot of the flavor is lost with the tiles. The graphics are more cute than realistic or vague, so they remove the remove the room for imagination that ascii allows. This might be ok in a game like nethack, but adom takes itself more seriously with the atmosphere and story, so the graphics can break the immersion for me.
    As an ancient player I prefer the tiles! I have plenty of imagination, I just feel the graphics suit the game perfectly for me, and help represent things infinitely more effectively than graphics that are limited to a coloured ascii set, which is already coming to notice with health bars and status effects (fear, stun, bleeding, and 'not yet noticed you' are all amazingly useful to see). I like being able to spot an eternium 2-handed sword, or a fresh, strong herb bush, from a distance. I like being able to tell a goblin rockthrower by the bag of rocks he's about to give to me. Most of all, though, I like knowing what a moloch might look like, because I seriously, despite all my roleplaying experience and all my creative writing, never really managed to consistently see them as anything other than a very intimidating brown ampersand!

As soon as I encountered the graphics I knew that I'd ultimately prefer them if I gave them the chance. The transition in DoomRL taught me that graphics could be better despite my anachronistic feeling to the contrary. There's *no* way I'd go back to ascii adom now.
    My orc thief just died.

IMHO, tiled mode is nice to look at, but if you actually want to win, you should play ASCII. Simply the fact that you can see the entire map at once gives you a huge strategic advantage.
    Yes, that's what I feel too.

I like the tiles. I tried (and probably will keep trying) to like *playing* with tiles. But I just play worse due to not seeing the whole map (and also due to the lag, but that's much better in the latest version).

In fact in the new prereleases I have started several local games with tiles and games on the server without tiles. In ASCII mode I have won 2 or 3 times. In tiled mode I hit DT once... I haven't gotten as far as the ToEF!

Of course, a good combination is ASCII NotEye and pressing F10 when you want to see the tiles (although I haven't played this much because I like the serer).

In any case I think it's great that we have the tiles, because they will attract many new players which would just flat out refuse to play in ASCII.