Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ASCII mode sucksssssssss!!

Default ASCII mode sucksssssssss!!

sorry but im gonna be ranting for a bit here...just finished eating a gorgon corpse and dying on a very promising hero...but i really believe that we can go beyond ascii mode. all we need to do is the following (and i dnt know how this will be done but it needs to b done)

1) make monster and item detection work decently on normal mode
    2) make these fucking missiles move faster on normal mode
    3) make toef faster on normal mode
    4) make item dropping and picking faster on normal mode
    5)make karmic beings change colour on a single turn

i think if these few things are done i think i can loose 50% less heroes cause i play marathon sessions and that leads to loss of concentration and hence i need to go ascii else my brain starts to melt
    but then i end up doing stupid things (i know its my fault but you get a good run going and u have air under your hair and u feel u can fly!!)

and other suggestions on improving normal mode? i recommend str8up BANNING ascii mode so every1 play normal mode

O_o (tenchar)

I believe we have our first troll in the ADOM forums! (At least the first one I've seen...)

y u think im trolling? ofc i meant the banning thingy in jest but other than that all the points are true.. no?

It's what one prefers. I for one couldn't stand NotEye mode and went straight back to ASCII. Probably something to do with getting confused with positioning. Which is a shame cause I would really love to see all that nice graphics and music. That is why I wish in the future it would be possible to play play in ASCII mode while having NotEye window open to see your game in graphics. Having played about ~15 years on-off ASCII is just so much simpler to read and understand than graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by divij View Post
    y u think im trolling? ofc i meant the banning thingy in jest but other than that all the points are true.. no?
    As far as I'm concerned, ASCII mode is the heart and soul of ADOM. NotEye is just an added gimmick for those who either can't stand ASCII for some reason or are new enough so they don't associate ASCII mode with ADOM by default. Personally, I think NotEye makes ADOM look too much like a bog-standard RPG Maker product, ruining its charm, and is also difficult to orientate within.

Also, no, your comment about banning ASCII mode didn't look like it was made in jest. It looked more like you were either pissed off so much that you added it on impulse, or wanted to antagonize those who prefer ASCII. In general, if you want to rant about something, it helps to do so when the initial rush of anger has already subsided.

Quote Originally Posted by divij View Post
    The thread name does kinda suggest that you want to start a flame war

ASCII rooooooooooooxx :-)
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

omg so many supporters of ascii mode.....see the point is that if u want adom to improve then focus on complexity rather than tradition..it is 1 thing to say that u lv ascii another to say its better...it CERTAINLY ISNT better. yes a part of it is non-association of characters and units but part of it is because it feels old fashioned like im playing in the 20th century...this thread reminds me of the whole nationalism vs patriotism debate and u ppl are just being nationalists....it is true because it true because i said it is true blah blah blah

I wouldn't disagree. It's just that it's like telling a lesbian to love guys only.

(No offense meant to whoever likes ASCII, just trying to explain)