Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Abilities for monsters that affect missile and/or magic users

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Or something that acts like a wall to bolts and bounces/fizzles them (living walls would be a prime candidate)?
    Please, RFE. Wall beasts and Living Walls. Let them behave like a real walls!

Mirrored statues that reflect bolts back at their attacker?

Mana slimes or something like that that absorb attacking magic used against them then use the same spell (with the same strength range etc? ) in their own turn. Or maybe they replicate when magic is used against them like gremlins and water?

I really like the bouncing bolt Living Wall thing Jellyslayer said.

I was thinking more about this and I thought, maybe there could just be a Karma Lizard that works on Magic or Ranged attacks?

The other thing I was thinking of was maybe make some of the summoner enemies like, either Necromancers, or the Black Wizards(?) summon more enemies every time you cast a spell too close to them. Like they get magic from the spell and it makes more guys.

The thing about making monsters that are dangerous for one thing is that I wouldn't want them to be too dangerous. I would really like it if there were a clever way to stop them instead. Like, if there were a Rust monster that it eats your ammo but gets angrier and stronger but also a lot slower. Then sure you can just throw away your ammo to make it stop, but then you are out your arrows. He'd get slower cause he'd be heavier and probably fatter.

Could higher level human-sized monsters have a skill like the archer class power whereby there's a chance they dodge the missile entirely? Maybe dark elves as the DE PCs have alertness and dodge. Suitable "warrior" type monsters could have a chance to deflect missiles with their shield (chaos and ratling warriors/warlords being a good candidate. No new monsters (and all their bugs) and should* be easy to code.

*haahaaa as if anything is simple

Maybe vortices should explode without self-destructing and / or speed up if you cast elemental attacks on them?
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I'm keeping a master list of ideas at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...gZJXm2_0kcCx8/, for reference. I will probably post them as separate RFEs. (You can comment on stuff if you want).
    Last edited by SirTheta; 05-17-2014 at 07:48 PM.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Maybe vortices should explode without self-destructing and / or speed up if you cast elemental attacks on them?
    Ah I like that a lot! The getting faster (and maybe strong) bit

Make a monster who shoots stronger bolts the farther you are away from it. In fact I think this should be done for the ACW and make it so he can't flee. This would give you incentive to close the gap instead of long range blast away. And put you in nasty melee range. I would be difficult for a monster that didn't have lots of health like the ACW though. Maybe have a regular monster do the same but always dodge certain bolts?

Also some monster should swat missiles away (knocking away those that would otherwise auto-return). Or at least prevent auto-return... it's stupid strong as it is. Rune-covered trident can best the entirety of D50! Balors should get hit and grab it before it can return. Molochs, Titans and their greater forms should do the same.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrnyx View Post
    Balors should get hit and grab it before it can return. Molochs, Titans and their greater forms should do the same.
    Molochs? This is pretty opposite of "cathing something".

I would have thought Moloch and especially Greater Molochs would be far far too slow and clumsy to catch arrows. Maybe (Master) Swordsmen could deflect them, unrealistic I know, but it looks good in films...! Then you have to fight them on their terms, where their skills come into play. It would certainly encourage Archers and other ranged fighters to train up a little more (though I don't suppose anyone neglects their melee weapon skills do they) to avoid being disarmed.