Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Abilities for monsters that affect missile and/or magic users

I like a lot of the suggestions especially the ones in the post above mine. However, some of the suggestions (in the thread, mostly avoided in the post above mine) actually hurt melee characters more than ranged characters! Having archer monsters do more damage just means that melee characters have to close more ground while taking more damage. If missile monsters damage is increased then have pure melee characters take less damage from missiles - not sure how the game would determine "pure" but it's a thought?

Another suggestion: monsters that absorbs your missiles until you kill it might be interesting. Perhaps a property of say a Death Ooze or other fancy jellies.

Personally I just think that PC missiles should do less damage. Especially the artifact missiles.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

Agree, lots of creative ideas. I particularly like two, because they're elegant, i.e. make sense and are simple:

1) The farther away you are, the less accurate your shooting.

2) More monsters can deflect missiles, like doppelgangers.

Both of those seem realistic, and would significantly cut the effectiveness of archers without affecting melee.

My two cents

But missile power it's not some luxury for archers, missile weapon is the main way for some weaker classes to take down bosses and other dangerous foes, not everybody plays barbarians and wizards. I already dislike that ammo break rate seems to be increased in pre23, it adds a lot of annoyance and kind of forces you to use artifact ammo.

Also that deflecting idea, i don't recall monsters deflecting melee hits, why should missile users have a disadvantage..

I'm not sure why anyone would want to do anything to make this game harder.

Maybe instead of making the core game harder in all the ways people that get ultimate endings all the time want we can add a harder mode to the game as an option of something. Some of us haven't been able to figure out all the things needed to complete the game once yet, much less an ultimate ending we thought needed to be more difficult.

If you want to make sure no one new ever gets into this game just keep begging for the game to be closer to actually impossible to beat at all.

As a matter of fact, karmics alone are enough for me to ask for a nerf on some of this stuff. Just having to have ranged weapons to kill them without completely screwing your character is enough to cause to real problems when there are 3 in the first level of SMC.

My point is we are already riding a line between a really hard game that is really hard for anyone to get well into and a game so hard that only the most hardcore should even bother.

I love this game because it is super hard, but if you make it much harder it will become clear that I have no choice but to quit or hate the game the entire time I'm playing it. Please don't take this game from people like myself. I'm trying hard, and making progress, but adding even more to this will ruin it.

You shouldn't see karmics in the SMC until you're at least level 4 or 5. Passed time that you should have vacated the premises. It's rare that you run into a karmic where you don't even have at least a couple random weapons to throw at it, if not a nice pile of rocks.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.