Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unlucky Me or Player-Proofing?

Default Unlucky Me or Player-Proofing?

I updated to the most recent release of the game recently and have played 10 characters now to DT. I'm happy to say all completed the first quest (random monster) without issue and that has improved the quality of play for me a lot. I can actually progress through the quests there in the right way and things flow better. That said....

All 10 characters have gone to the arena to find 1 trader selling lizards, except the character that had none. I don't mean I didn't find him, he just wasn't there. I searched and searched and searched that arena sure I must just be missing him, but the guy just wasn't there. The problem here becomes having enough to eat again. My last character starved to death. That hasn't happened in years. I am WELL versed on eating corpses and how to keep enough food around to live and still there was nothing I can do about this.

I have also been having a problem being disarmed. I'm used to it some but I had a character with weapon skill in the double digits get disarmed, I grabbed another sword and it was instantly disarmed... this continued until I didn't have a weapon, couldn't get to any of the other weapons on the ground and when I finally killed everything on the level all my weapons were just gone. This was a level 16 Dwarf Pally, he later died because... well he had no weapons. I could understand this kind of thing from a big nasty, but this was a plain ol' swordsman. Normally the message would say "do to your skill with your weapon" or something like that, but it just kept saying "your sword flys west" until I was fighting with nothing but my hands.

So, is this player-proofing in the new version (trying to make it harder for the sake of making it harder) or have I just had some real bad luck with this new version?
    Last edited by melphen; 05-29-2014 at 01:16 AM.

Hmm... the only part I can help with is the 'all my weapons are gone' part. There is no real reason for this to happen. AFAIK, anytime an enemy picks up a weapon, it will drop it upon death. If you were disarmed, fled the area, and came back to find nothing, well... That means a critter somewhere on the current level was carrying all your weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by biomateria View Post
    Hmm... the only part I can help with is the 'all my weapons are gone' part. There is no real reason for this to happen. AFAIK, anytime an enemy picks up a weapon, it will drop it upon death. If you were disarmed, fled the area, and came back to find nothing, well... That means a critter somewhere on the current level was carrying all your weapons.
    That is what I expected. It was probably just bad luck then. I surely searched the level over a few times, but I didn't have anything to show me where all the monsters were so it seems likely I missed it.

Disarm is a nuisance...i always keep track of wether someone pick up my weapon(s) or not, and focus on killing the disarmer in some other way, mostly barehanded. If i manage to spot a disarmer from afar, i promptly unequip my weapon to avoid being disarmed while zapping a wand or something. On the other hand, though, disarmers are pretty entertaining when you play monks and beastfighters.
    you can't wake up who's pretending to sleep

Speaking of unluck and the newest version (1.2.0 pre 23)...
    Does anybody else find this version to be the most crash-prone version of ADOM ever?

I've played only 6 characters so far and two of them were deleted due to a random crash... One while moving the cursor to look at something in the High Mountain Village, and one while leveling up in the small cave. Both were thoroughly early-game crashes, and it is very discouraging, the one in the HMV in particular was extremely promising (a high elf wizard with invisibility and Lightning Ball who had already completed the random monster quest). I always generate my characters randomly, so something as win-favorable as a high elf wizard is rare for me... very discouraging that characters keep crashing. Makes me disinclined to play anything towards the late game, and I was just coming back after a long hiatus and excited to check out the new races and classes... the second crash was my first Chaos Knight too...

I have been playing the graphical version, but will happily switch back to the ASCII if it is less crash-prone...

Quote Originally Posted by melphen View Post
    All 10 characters have gone to the arena to find 1 trader selling lizards, except the character that had none.
    Could it be that he died to a trap? It's rare, but it can happen.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoobnahr View Post
    Speaking of unluck and the newest version (1.2.0 pre 23)...
    Does anybody else find this version to be the most crash-prone version of ADOM ever?

I've played only 6 characters so far and two of them were deleted due to a random crash... One while moving the cursor to look at something in the High Mountain Village, and one while leveling up in the small cave. Both were thoroughly early-game crashes, and it is very discouraging, the one in the HMV in particular was extremely promising (a high elf wizard with invisibility and Lightning Ball who had already completed the random monster quest). I always generate my characters randomly, so something as win-favorable as a high elf wizard is rare for me... very discouraging that characters keep crashing. Makes me disinclined to play anything towards the late game, and I was just coming back after a long hiatus and excited to check out the new races and classes... the second crash was my first Chaos Knight too...

I have been playing the graphical version, but will happily switch back to the ASCII if it is less crash-prone...
    Exactly my experience. I never liked the graphical version as much as ASCII in previous releases, but I decided to give it a serious try this time, with the cool new sound effects and health bars. It's actually a lot better than p20 graphical mode, so I played a character all the way to finishing the DT quests when it crashed. I tried restoring with the .bak file but I lost so much progress it wasn't worth it. It then crashed with a few other characters much earlier in the game. I've had more characters "die" to crash than to real death! Now I'm playing on the server instead, which doesn't seem to have this problem.

I just had another character crash... this was my 8th character and my third crash, meaning I'm close to 50%. This one crashed while trying to enter Terinyo.

I'd like to get back into playing on the server, but the last time I looked at it it was still running 1.1.1 and I'm really interested in exploring the new material. Does the server run some version of 1.2.0 now?

Also, how is it that after all the updates and changes made to the game over the last couple years that some sort of autosave function like the server has wasn't included? It seems like an incredibly basic addition, and considering the fact that adom has always been crash-prone, it would seem to be the most important single addition that could possibly be made to the game.

Aaaannnnddd I just lost another character. This one while trying to sacrifice on an alter. That's 4 of 9.

Terrible

You can swap the version to play on the server. p23 is already availible.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners