Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Beginner's Guide to Pools

But i want that amulet slot for something useful. Anyway I don't see any risk in sipping pools as a long living race/

You can change your amulets easily enough.

I've lost far more characters to pool sipping mishaps than mimic hiveminds.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by mewmew View Post
    But i want that amulet slot for something useful. Anyway I don't see any risk in sipping pools as a long living race/
    Then you haven't poolsipped enough.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    Then you haven't poolsipped enough.
    What exactly can happen? Snakes? Water elemental? Gaining teleportisis (in Darkforge) and losing teleport control on the next sip? Dooming? It all happened to me, it all is very manageable.

Uncontrolled teleportitis is one of the worst problems you can have. If you do not have a spare blink dog (or a rare ring / amulet of teleport control), this is far worse than anything that you can gain from a pool is worth. Very annoying and it can easily kill you if it kicks in at the wrong moment.

Doom is ok if you have the piety to remove it. If not, the RNG has your number.

And losing acid resistance is dangerous too. A black wizard summoning acid vortices may be rare, but it happens. For someone without acid resistance that's an instakill. Or you might open a door and get breathed on by several black wyrms - RIP.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

i dont want to start anything here...god knows i've done that already multiple times but i COMPLETELY disagree with a lot of comments on this thread....except for 1... uncontrolled telepotis. that sucks and i have made a thread...search for it here...where it ALMOST wrecked my game to the extent that i was thinking of rage quitting. other that that and ageing there is nothing that can be said to change my mind about draining EVERY pool i find BEFORE ACW. there are too many things i can get and not a lot i can loose. Ofcourse this only applies to mid game characters.though realistically if u have managed to reach the darkforge pools u have no excuses about your character not being strong enough. i think pool sipping is to adom what alcohol is to real life...to much flak about dangers of it and NO SUBSTANCE......

Well, I think we can all agree on one thing : pool sipping is wonderful and you should unquestionably do it

It is amazing indeed. Pools are wonderful source of wishes, -death and -para for the most characters. Some players, however, die from them for some reason. I dont know why.

>Uncontrolled teleportitis is one of the worst problems you can have.

worst AND most entertaining
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by mewmew View Post
    What exactly can happen? Snakes? Water elemental? Gaining teleportisis (in Darkforge) and losing teleport control on the next sip? Dooming? It all happened to me, it all is very manageable.
    It's all happened to me before. And yeah, most of the time it's manageable. But so what? By the time I can deal with those things, I can already win the game easily. Why give the RNG another chance when I'm already on the cusp of winning? A doomed PC can be 1 shotted by a ghul, carrion crawler, homunculus in the trip to your altar even with 200+ HP and 40+ PV (I've had it happen on... lots of occasions). If the nearest altar is on the far side of the Big Room, that's a pretty high-risk expedition for little gain.

Teleportitis in Darkforge is dangerous/annoying even with control anyway...
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.