Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Tome experimenting

Default Weird Tome experimenting

Ok, I'm putting up this thread to establish what has and has not been done with weird tome and to solicit ideas.
    First, the basics: You require high Le and Wi to get any kind of message from the tome (~60). You must be a Bard.
    You then get this message:
    After a while you manage to focus your sight on the text. The text contains a strange collection of tunes, songs and instrumental pieces. It seems some kind of code, hinting at some ancient powerful magic, a scroll or something like that...
    You fail to decipher it.

Seems like some kind of check was not met.

What I've done
    -Reached level 50. Insufficient.
    -There is a fortune cookie message telling trolls to drink from pools. I am a troll bard and drank from the stone circle pool (it has a poorly understood message stating that 'you are altered in an eerie way' when drinking it). No change.
    -I obtained every skill at full mastery. All of them. This did not work. I also have great learner and great book learner talents. That's right, I planned this meticulously. My character is a weird tome reading MACHINE. I am the Moriarty of tedious make-work.
    -Obtain and read crumpled scroll, the precursor of the ToTRR. Not it. It did wax poetic about having been misunderstood and mythologized.
    -Asked Thundrarr about it. He claims not to have anything to tell me about it. He also claims not to know where my car keys are, but the odometer reading changed. J'ACCUSE, THUNDRARR!
    -Read the Tome of Alsophocus and the Confucius book. I didn't really think it would matter, but I did it anyway and it doesn't.

Things I plan to do / am curious about / want feedback on

-I want to find one of the rooms with uniform stones that look like shelves of books and try reading it there. I am currently methodically searching all of the dungeons. I'm down to just the CoC left, around L30... super tedious, I don't want to have to scum the ID for a stupid room. But I will, because I want to know.
    -I saved the crown of science. I'm going to try reading the book with it on.
    -The enlarged cranium corruption. I don't have it yet. I have an abundance of SoCR and practically no corruption. I may or may not push through and obtain it to try to use in conjunction with the room of uniform books and the crown of science.

Has anyone been crazy enough to try reading it on the ChAoS plane?
    Giving it to the demented ratling?
    Tried giving the crumpled scroll to the demented ratling while crowned C-\Talking to the demented ratling while chaotic after reading the weird tome and drinking from the stone circle pool as a troll? (I'm not doing this one. I'm crowned L+)
    Reading it 50 times?
    Giving the crumpled scroll to the mad minstrel?
    Anything else excessive? Please weigh in, even if it was a dead end. It prevents me from pursuing the dead ends myself.
    Last edited by Sad Death Generator; 06-09-2014 at 03:38 AM.

Hah I love these kinds of experiments!
    I read somewhere that NPCs have some funny reactions to being given the weird tome. Try Gaab Baay.
    You may try dipping it in stuff, maybe in PoRC?
    Giving the book to emp moloch before killing it?
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Exclamation

Well before reinventing the wheel, let me inform you about what is already known about the weird tome:

*demented ratling eats the tome
    *gaab baay and saved khely provide some sort of special messages when given the tome
    *the requirements for getting the best message mentioned are: bard, music at 100, literacy at 100, wi 50+, le 60+
    *there is very high probability that this is just all. simply there is not implemented the condition to get any better result. it is supposed to hint at obtaining the scroll of omnipotence, which isn't implemented either.

Update: I obtained the cranium corruption and read the tome with the crown of science on. Nothing. I also magical writing setted a new crumpled scroll into existence and saw what the various NPCs thought (Khelly said 'i did what i could', the ratling refused me, as did thundrarr. Finally, I gave the tome to the minstrel and then tried the crumpled scroll on him.). Also nothing.

Does it actually do anything? I mean, has anyone asked TB if it does anything more then give that message?

I heard he had an interview and basically stated that it isn't a red herring. That's why I did this. third hand information.

Bet you didn't think of doing this?
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Death Generator View Post
    I heard he had an interview and basically stated that it isn't a red herring. That's why I did this. third hand information.
    I ain't knockin ya, I welcome the spirit of exploration and experimentation! Do you know where that interview is/got a link? Given the list of things that are probably meant to work but don't, might it have a further purpose but be bugged? People have gone to extreme lengths to read it and failed. Not to say they shouldn't have to go to extreme lengths!

Quote Originally Posted by YourMum View Post
    Does it actually do anything? I mean, has anyone asked TB if it does anything more then give that message?
    That is a good point... I mean, he doesn't always reveal mysteries, but he has commented on a few things in the past that were red herrings... Plus, he's fairly easily reachable.

How about Filk? He's a bard too and seems to have some kind of history with mad minstrel. You can also try to kill Mad Minstrel and then get the book to Filk. And when nothing happens you can try to check into quickling tree to see if you are friends with them now.