Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tell us about your latest death.

Drakeling monk, lucky one, found orcish spear of devastation and large mithril shield early in game, done puppy and druid quests. At some point he decided to read-identify a scroll in HMV near shop and it's turned to be darkness scroll. Not giving a darn about it he continued his journey. Later he came back to Leggot's shop - some oil of rust removal there should be used to rustproof his wicked spear. Of course he remembered about scroll incident after attacking someone in darkness and this someone was no one but Leggot.
    So it goes. Note to myself: be careful with unid-ed stuff in towns, some common sense is always useful too.

Surrounded by hostile trees on my first attempt to cross the forest with a level 10 trollish healer (my first troll in years) with ~70/15 DV/PV, 140 HP and ~105 speed. Used 3 blessed !oEH and then ran out of options...

Is it just me or has the forest got a lot harder recently - it used to be tedious but fairly safe for the first couple of crossings. Now the trees either multiply faster or the hostiles are better at tracking you. I'll not be attempting it again without having scummed for invisibility or teleportation (ditto DH obviously).
    Gate closers: L+ DE Mindcrafter (p20), N= Gnomish Assasin (p20), N= Gnomish Mindcrafter (p23), N= Ratling Ranger (R49)

Yeah, I thought that DH was a good choice versus tedious forest run.
    "What could go wrong?"
    "The stair rooms will be close to each other."
    "101 HP and 19 PV is enough."
    Enter DH2, quickling queen shows up. Goes to wand of fireball. Enter One room before the stairs - Ancient Black Dragon. Breathes acid in my face as soon as I spotted it.
    33 ants killed some days ago from two anthills and no corpse. I'm wearing ring of mental stability and fire resistance. -12 HP.

Another time I went through the forest and it was easy mode. Just having source of invisibility is good enough but dual wielding shields on coward works wonders too.
    I had no choice back then however, there was a tension room of Ghost Kings on the only path to down staircase in DH2 and I was a troll.
    My only luck was that it's an open tension room and I had 32 perception from carrot rooms so I spotted them first.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Ran down the stairs at SMC to escape a Wererat storm. Killed a few straggler rats then saw a statue. "It resembles an oil lamp" Guess I should have 'H'andled it, instead I kicked it. Three rounds later, dead due to a hostile Djinni. Must have rubbed him the wrong way.
    Last edited by BoloDigby; 08-07-2014 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoloDigby View Post
    Ran down the stairs at SMC to escape a Wererat storm. Killed a few straggler rats then saw a statue. "It resembles an oil lamp" Guess I should have 'H'andled it, instead I kicked it. Three rounds later, dead due to a hostile Djinni. Must have rubbed him the wrong way.
    That's rough. I usually avoid the statues for that reason, unless it's really early game or my character is struggling and I'm about to shift q. I think those walk on activate ones are a joke because you have no idea what will happen.
    Gate Closers:
    Dwarf Monk (p17), Dwarf Paladin (p23), Gnome Duelist (r49), Dark Elf Barbarian (r50), High Elf Archer (r51)

Level 17 female mist elven elementalist. Was going pretty well until she was shafted in the crowning artifact division (Nature's Friend really sucks. Really.) and lack of spellbook spawns. Wasn't strong enough to take on the Ice Queen's Domain as her spells were either fire or frost (was my first time entering there!) and after being chased by ice statues, decided to take on the ACW and got zapped to death.

Wasn't really sure how to play this character to be honest, was my first time with a potentially successful mist elf - you really miss wearing those impure metals (ie I want my elemental gauntlets back!).
    Gate Closers
    Snarky - male dwarven paladin (lawful, L46) - Sel'yn - female grey elven wizard (neutral, L35) - Malicious - male dark elven beastfighter (chaotic, L35) - Telariel - female high elven priestess (lawful, L37) - Poppy - female human assassin (neutral, L50) - Orkboy - male orcish barbarian (neutral, L33)

I've just posted this over in the YASD forum, but seeing as there is a thread for it here, I don't think this is inappropriate...

Latisha was an orcish ranger of great repute
    Crowned as a champion of Balance by the one who Kills, She saved the dying sage Khelavaster from certain death, as well as having brought an infamous raider lord to justice and having brought back joy to the life of a tiny girl.
    She reached the farthest Depths of the Caverns of Chaos, where, nearly overwhelmed by the Demons who guarded the obscene gate, she wished for scrolls of Corruption Removal, barely staving off the forces of Chaos from consuming her body. But her heroism was no match for the one foe who claims all mortals, the grim reaper HERself.
    What follows are the last messa
    ges before her death

The ghost lord misses you. The ghost lord critically hits you. You suddenly age! You feel very old. The balor hits you. You feel corrupted! The balor misses you. You dip the uncursed potion of youth into the potion of holy water. You age...
    Suddenly you can see the Grim Reaper directly in front of you. She speaks "Thou hast tarried too long. Now thy time hath come. I hereby demand thy life!" Her scythe moves like lightning and runs through your body as if through warm butter. Your life drains away... You die...

Note that the deadly aging came one turn after she was struck by a ghost lord, just after blessing a potion of youth, and just as she brought it to her lips, her life was extinguished, and the hopes for this iteration of the Drakalor Chain with it.

(this would have been my fourth win, the first in 1.2.0, and the first in several years, having taken a long hiatus from ADOM.)

Puny level 13 thief (yeah, I know) ran into a vault of jellies. Did okay until one (1!) yellow jelly of which I could not hit hard enough to overcome its regeneration. I was going through my entire inventory of quarrels and arrows, looking for a jelly-slaying one. In the meantime, the jelly criticalled me. Sure enough, upon death, I saw that I had at least two arrows of jelly slaying. Oh well, learning experience number 875.

MFn' crash.

r49, just killed the ToEF big baddy, and went to look at monster memory on a &.

Boom, gave me an noteye crash, and I tried safe mode. Hung the game, never recovered, never got the save backup. Was going to be a winner too.

My feet tread in Ohio, my heart lies in Skyrim, and my head remains in the clouds.

Last game I was hungry with nothing to eat, Hungry!, and eventually staving. I finally gave in and ate the rotten corpse I had, and got sick. I had no potions, and eventually died. Anyone know where I can find something to cure sickness in the early game? Really screws me up if I contract it in one of the first dungeons.
    Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

</normal>
    <nerd>
    Ouch! You run into a wall. The orc seems to panic!