Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Tell us about your latest death.

Human archer. Died in melee to the first random surge of power I ever ran into. I learnt they are a serious matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatWhovianDude View Post
    Last game I was hungry with nothing to eat, Hungry!, and eventually staving. I finally gave in and ate the rotten corpse I had, and got sick. I had no potions, and eventually died. Anyone know where I can find something to cure sickness in the early game? Really screws me up if I contract it in one of the first dungeons.
    Sickness is extremely newbie unfriendly in the early game.
    Don't catch it, if you do and have very high toughness you may survive.

Lvl 29 Dark Elven Farmer.
    Went to bug temple to get the scrolls of magic mapping before the maze.
    Couldn't find seven league boots anywhere so I went in without them.
    20 greater claw bugs and 6 killer bugs later, I misstepped with 75 hp and a killer bug landed 7 crits.
    In the post-mortem log, I discovered that not only Sun's Messenger has been generated (which I've found) but also True Aim (which I haven't found) was on the list.
    Too bad with such a nice char.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

L29 Drakeling Priest.
    Crowned with Aylas, found a wand of wishing on the level before Khelly, saved him and got Find Weakness, got Oman, got the AotME and crazy stats, wished for a GoGS, got four orbs.
    D:45 had a GUV, but first I decided to do the threat room of lich kings. Was mostly annoying, since apparently -conf doesn't really help against them, and then one summoned ghost kings.

Only one of them hit, and only once. I'd had no unnatural aging before. No potions of youth or longevity.

The missile bounces as it hits the wall beast!
    You are hit by the magic missile!
    The missile bounces!
    You die...

Why were my fat fingers so fast with the spell ?! :(

I was at D:50 fighting balors. They had me surrounded and I was using +33 Acid Ball against them. I had lots of teleport spells as well. Then several balors did critical hits and I was instakilled. Not to mention, I had an amulet of life saving as well, but not worn.

What were you wearing in your necklace slot?

^ I don't remember, this death was quite a while ago. I actually rolled some characters that died in early game after that, but I don't remember anything about those. Now I'm playing a level 30 Hurthling Wizard and I believe I'll get to the D:50 this time as well, because I know the way there pretty well now. I try to be more careful with balors this time It was so close to my first win on recent versions , and in 1.1.1 I utilized some bugs to get a walking tank so I don't count those as honest wins, really. Balors were no match to those tanks I used to play.

Wow, Blasphemous, that really sucks. To me, it is not worth it to go inside the bug temple for those scrolls. I find that nearly every game I play, I skip bug temple. It it just too dangerous if you don't have wide ball spell range. Moonshine, I was wondering, did you make sure to go into Coward mode before whaling on them with Acid Ball? +33 is pretty darn powerful and would have taken them quickly, and usually end game characters have enough DV, especially in coward mode, to dodge balors.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    Sickness is extremely newbie unfriendly in the early game.
    Don't catch it, if you do and have very high toughness you may survive.
    I have survived sickness once in 1.1.1, and it really trained Toughness big time. I don't know about current versions, though.

Why several balors succeeded to hit me critically is really still a mystery to me, as I was in coward mode. Nuurag-Vaarn fell quickly to my Acid Balls, for instance, and I didn't even had to heal myself much, I only read some scrolls of power between casts. I'm now playing a level 30 hurthling wizard that killed several lich kings and 20+ master liches in GUV, I hope she'll finally pass the balor test. For sure I'll be careful as hell with them this time Though this time I have only found Acid Ball spellbook from the Library and I got about 400 castings, so no +33 efficiency this time (I'll try scumming ID for more Acid Balls in any case). I have 1400 Ice Balls reserved for raiding ToEF, though. And 3000 Magic Missiles with +32 efficiency at this point. Every game is different and that's fun.
    Last edited by moonshine; 02-27-2015 at 07:18 PM.