Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about potions of boost attribute and their usefulness?

Default How do you feel about potions of boost attribute and their usefulness?

Right now mentioned potions increase a given attribute by several points and it begins to drop almost immediately after drinking.
    What it means for me is that virtually only potions of boost speed are of any real value and only when drunk in batches of 3-4.
    All other attribute boosts last too short to be of any use.
    I don't know about other players, perhaps people find them more useful in more constrained situations with limited resources.
    That extra 5-7 toughness and strength might make a difference. Once or maybe twice, but that's it.
    I tend to build up a character rather than going head on and barely making it out alive and thus those potions are completely useless to me.
    The last time I remember I used any of them was when I tried to build an archmage and needed just a few points of hp and pp more and so I drank all potions of boost mana and boost toughness that I had.

I'm wondering what are the thoughts of other players as I wanted to make an RFE to buff the potions a little bit - make them last a bit longer, give a slightly bigger increase and begin dropping to default values several dozen turns later.
    After all, they are possibly as rare as potions of attributes and so won't be able to grant their bonuses too often.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

When I play spellcasters, I use potions of boost willpower for certain greater vaults. When I don't think my characters are strong enough for, say, the Mana Temple or D:50 and they get in trouble, I'll use whatever boosting potions I have.

But mostly I just save them all for the way out of the chain to make my stats look more impressive to everyone else in YAVP :P.

Waste of time don't bother with them. The increase is too small and drops too quickly. Might use boost Wi to get a bigger ball spell but that's it. Even that is disappointing as realistically your boosting yourself to 32+ not 48+. I've never experimented with item status as I've normally got better things to use the holy water for. RFE time!

Their effect lasts too little for my taste. I think I've used them once or twice before tackling an orb guardian, once immediately before exiting the Chain to make my stats look better like gym21 said, and that's it.
    "And light there be!"

I've used boost willpower potions for greater vaults as well. I've boosted up to 99 Wi with them before. Very handy for undead vaults.

Other than that, meh.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I use boost perception for mana temple (to see more traps). They're very effective. I don't think I use any other boost potions for anything.

They could use some buffing.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

I don't use them, I sell them for whatever they will bring when I pick them up. I haven't made it to a point where beating the game is a reasonable expectation yet so even holding them to show off at the end does nothing for me.

To that point it would suit me to remove them totally from the game. It would only increase the odds that I picked up a potion that would actually mean something to me.

I've used Boost Willpower when dealing with monsters that confuse, or before going down the rift. Also for end-game, chaos plane activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    I've used Boost Willpower ... before going down the rift.
    never thought of that, quite a good application.

I use boost learning, if I have it, before trading the gladius in for skills. You get more weapon marks and a better chance of high initial Tactics.

I also use them for learning spellbooks when I pay an average-Le caster, with or without the Crown of Science -- it last long enough to get a nice boost to the number of castings on 2 or 3 difficult books, like ball spells and Finger of Death.

I might use boost charisma to get better shop prices on a very expensive item, if I had the opportunity.

I never use boost str, dex, or toughness. The combat bonus is inignificant compared to losing an action to drink them.

Boost mana nearly always goes to charge wands, but I might also drink it before leveling up to 18 as a bard.