Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you feel about potions of boost attribute and their usefulness?

I would prefer if they lasted much longer, but then the stats shed faster. A small buff to the actual stat gain would be nice. This almost sounds like an RFE... *hint hint*

Quote Originally Posted by BenMathiesen View Post
    Boost mana nearly always goes to charge wands
    Forgot about that. Blessed potions of boost mana give a good amount of charges, an effect way more valuable and desirable than a short-lived Ma boost.
    "And light there be!"

Ah, yes, I do treasure boost mana for wand charging! Forgot about that.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Yes this sounds like an RFE because it will be an RFE as soon as I decide I have enough feedback to phrase it properly
    That is the purpose of this thread - to determine if it's even feasible to make an RFE about it.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Forgot about that. Blessed potions of boost mana give a good amount of charges, an effect way more valuable and desirable than a short-lived Ma boost.
    That's another argument for buffing the stat buffs though, if no one uses the potion for the stat buff...

I've used boost learning before giving the golden gladius and leveling to 18 with a bard (btw, Ben, this is what you should drink, not mana).

I've used boost willpower to get into the Rift.

I've used boost strength to haul stuff out of Darkforge.

Boost mana is a great wand charger, as many have noticed.

I also quaff all boost potions I have before the chaos plane if I feel like I want to bother it (typically makes 0 difference).

Personally, I believe if an RFE which makes boosted stats a shield against stat drains is implemented, I might consider meleeing liches. Aside from that slower wearing out is definitely a nice idea.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Increasing the duration is necessary, IMHO, to make these useful.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

They're useful, but highly situational. About the only ones which are practically worthless are potions of boost appearance - the rest have at least one or two very good (but situational) uses.

As for their comparative worth - I wouldn't waste holy water on them. But not everything is as good as a potion of stat or a potion of gain attributes, nor should it be.

If monster stat drains reduced temporary boosts before acting on your real stats, as Ln suggests, that would certainly make the physical ones more valuable and I would start saving them for certain melee fights.

Quote Originally Posted by melphen View Post
    I don't use them, I sell them for whatever they will bring when I pick them up. I haven't made it to a point where beating the game is a reasonable expectation yet so even holding them to show off at the end does nothing for me.

To that point it would suit me to remove them totally from the game. It would only increase the odds that I picked up a potion that would actually mean something to me.
    Same here. I think I've MAYBE used the pots of boost speed once or twice to run away from some truly terrifying monsters, but that was it. As everyone else have said, the boost just falls of far too quickly, it isn't worth the time to drink one.