Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ADOM things in RL

Default ADOM things in RL

A small number of IRC channel denizens yesterday discussed some relatively entertaining questions concerning how ADOM things can act in real life. Why don't we all share our thoughts, eh?

Basically, the questions were like that:
    1) If you are allowed to get a single non-artifact, non-wish-granting item from ADOM universe and use it in real life, what would it be and why?
    2) Same question but about an ADOM artifact;
    3) If you are to be afflicted with a corruption, what would it be?

Bonus question:
    4) If you are allowed to get an ADOM skill at full proficiency to use in RL, which one would you choose?
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

1) =oInvis, because... invisibility!
    2) Probably =otMC. Though I'm tempted by the Helm of Leadership as I like the idea of getting into a high managerial job whilst wearing some ridiculous medieval helmet.
    3) Gills
    4) Dubidu! (although Necromancy would make funerals more entertaining).
    Gate closers: L+ DE Mindcrafter (p20), N= Gnomish Assasin (p20), N= Gnomish Mindcrafter (p23), N= Ratling Ranger (R49)

1) Wand of lightning. I would go to the grocery store, buy some booze to use for dipping and devise a way to continuously supply the wand with booze and produce limitless electric current.
    2) Ring of immunity. I'd become a true hero, entering burning houses, saving people, walking in blizzard in the winter, wearing shorts on my trip to Antarctica and standing at the top of a mountain during a storm. Also I could easily handle that wand from 1).
    3) Acid blood. Not only does it grant immunity to the last "element", it sprays your enemies with a burning substance when they hurt you
    4) Cooking. I'm a terrible cook and I live alone so either I have to order pizzas (which is not bad) or I have to eat whatever cursed, bland-tasting large rations I can create myself.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    1) If you are allowed to get a single non-artifact, non-wish-granting item from ADOM universe and use it in real life, what would it be and why?
    Everburning torch! Because it violates the laws of physics in a non-threatening way.

It's tempting to ask for the SI, but that would end in a catastrophe. Exponential growth is exponential. Eventually the whole earth would be covered in a layer of SIs. A couple of days later the Earth would be an insignificant piece of rock within a gigantic SIball. Which would soon collapse into a black hole under it's own gravity.

So.. just give me the Golden Gladius. Would look nice on my wall.

Mana battery. Not sure if this would have any effect at all IRL, but in any case it's the only corruption that won't cause normal people to run away screaming.

4) If you are allowed to get an ADOM skill at full proficiency to use in RL, which one would you choose?
    Music!
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

1) I'd want whatever brand of amazing extra-dimensional backpack the hero is using, but since that's not really an item, I'd like a spellbook of Strength of Atlas.
    2) Black Thumb, I'd be on telly with my own gardening reality show (probably called The Weedmaster or similar).
    3) You have become extremely thin and nimble - no more dieting!
    4) Music, of course.

1: Ring of teleport control
    2: Preserver - who wouldn't want to recover from injuries almost instantly?
    3: Close attunement to corrupted astral space
    4: Music. I'm completely musically incapable; with 100 Music, I could become a great musician! Plus, I'd have some awesome pets as well.

1. Maybe an amulet of water breathing, or a ring of invisibility. Both great intrinsics IRL.
    2. Preserver. One never has too much luck, and regeneration and willpower sound great. The ankh would be a runner-up.
    3. "You thrive on the flesh of order". One of the few corruptions that I could keep secret and wouldn't make me a social reject. And I could always use it to win races at the Olympics by eating puppies beforehand. Acid blood and bronze bones would be runner-ups.
    4. Excluding stuff I already have (like Literacy, which is essential), I'd take Smithing. I mean, what could be more badass than making my own swords IRL?

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble
    4) Cooking. I'm a terrible cook and I live alone so either I have to order pizzas (which is not bad) or I have to eat whatever cursed, bland-tasting large rations I can create myself.
    That's really easy to train to a decent level. Just find someone who can cook and watch them to know how to do the basic stuff, then it's a matter of finding suitable recipes and with the Internet we have it much easier than our grandmas.

Yes, there are some dishes that take skill to cook (most of the Chinese cuisine, where they have recipes with 20+ ingredientes and they set the wok into flames and all that, comes to mind), but there are many recipes that are easy and very tasty. Scrambled eggs with, say, ham and mushrooms, are awesome and take 5 minutes to make. A pesto pasta is almost impossible to get wrong as long as you cook the pasta for the time written on the package. There are many recipes for fish cake that are based on just pouring all the ingredients in a bowl, blending them with the blender, putting the result into a mould in the oven and that's it. Etc.

Al, that's actually my quote not grobble's

As for cooking, I can do the simple stuff just fine but that hardly deserves the name "cooking", it's more like preparing or just boiling or whatever.
    But now that I think about it, cooking is indeed a skill that's not restricted to ADoM but so is music.
    I tried guitar once but my fingers hurt so much for a few days that I never got back to it. Computer keyboard's really my "instrument".

If I had a second choice however, I'd probably take appraisal skill and go visit an antique dealer kinda store and take a look at a couple of items. Who knows, might be I could find something superb.
    Or just get my hands on a shovel and dig some stuff up around old battlefields, polygons, archaeological sites etc.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    4. Excluding stuff I already have (like Literacy, which is essential), I'd take Smithing. I mean, what could be more badass than making my own swords IRL?
    Remember this is ADoM skills we're talking about
    Gate closers: L+ DE Mindcrafter (p20), N= Gnomish Assasin (p20), N= Gnomish Mindcrafter (p23), N= Ratling Ranger (R49)

A ring of invisibility. It would be nice to travel safely (assuming 1.1.1 invisibility) and maybe play some pranks

Rings of elemental mastery may be tempting, but I haven't been in a lot of real-life situations where elemental immunity would have made a difference. If real booze works the same as ADOM's as far as wand recharging is concerned, that would also open many interesting possibilities (teleportation in particular would be cool, although vaguely useful without control, and the question says a single item), but I'd still take the ring of invis.

Artifact armor and weapons are out of the question - the former would be cumbersome to wear, and the latter would quickly get me into some police trouble. This leaves Preserver, the bracers of war and ring of the master cat (maybe the ankh and scarf too) as "subtler" artifacts that would still provide very good benefits, and I would go for Preserver.

All the good ones would make me look like a freak and alienate people, making me feel miserable So applying the same logic as in point no. 2, I think I'd choose acidic blood, as it has zero drawbacks and the benefits may prove useful some day.

Bonus question:
    Assuming none of us has it and thus we're limited to the body's natural regeneration rate, Healing. Otherwise, Stealth would be nice.
    "And light there be!"