Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thrundrarr's "kill quest"

I've been getting things like orc, troll, and goblin variants, sometimes something like a caveman, and they fell like it's the right sort of level. Some aren't that tough really, but they're the right sort rarity I feel. There's a chance you might them a level or 2 above DT, or maybe you have to go rummaging around ToTHK, but as you're likely to go through these locations anyway it hardly seems grindy.

The current quest seems fine. The way that monster generation is set up, there is a rather high chance that you will find the monster you want after exploring a level or two near DT. Short of removing this quest entirely (which I'd be okay with), I think this is about as good as it will get.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I tend to get Troll Berserker repeatedly with Dark Elf characters in p23. Not super rare, but usually I have killed either 1 or zero at that point of game.

Dark elven princess hasn't shown up in the 6 levels I've gained since getting the quest. I'm going to run out of things to do before the DH/Forest.

As others have pointed out, by the time I actually complete this the other quests in the chain will be trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
    Dark elven princess hasn't shown up in the 6 levels I've gained since getting the quest. I'm going to run out of things to do before the DH/Forest.

As others have pointed out, by the time I actually complete this the other quests in the chain will be trivial.
    Then skip it!
    My own personal advice on this topic: It's not compulsory in any way, shape, or form. In adom, sometimes, 'screw that' is the best answer to a given situation. Part of being good at the game involves being able to spot these ignorable obstacles before you're invested resources in overcoming them.
    The only punishment for going to the animated forest is a second random monster quest. Both of them will probably be solved by the time you reach the water temple. Even if they are not, you don't have to do Thundarr's quests. Sometimes (maybe 1/10 games) you have a run without Thundarr's help - Seriously, the game is more fun, due to it's variety and non-linear problem-solving based quest progression, if you just let that quest complete itself instead of trying to finish it every game! Just learn to enjoy that variety!
    My orc thief just died.

The thing that bugs me the most is that I probably would ignore it sometimes but I try a little harder to complete it to avoid forfitting the reward for theAF/DH quest. THe wand you get is so very useful for the the 3 main undead dudes for normally face later on, griff+nonak, rehetep, and the skeletal king.

IMHO, that monster should just be forced-generated on one of the levels around Dwarven City once the quest is given, and if he dies due to non-PC cause, he should be automatically generated on another of those levels.

Generally anything assigned by Thrundarr now can be found easily on D:12. It took me ages to realise this, since some of the monsters have had their rarity/danger levels changed over the past few releases.

Quote Originally Posted by sylph View Post
    Then skip it!
    My own personal advice on this topic: It's not compulsory in any way, shape, or form. In adom, sometimes, 'screw that' is the best answer to a given situation. Part of being good at the game involves being able to spot these ignorable obstacles before you're invested resources in overcoming them.
    The only punishment for going to the animated forest is a second random monster quest. Both of them will probably be solved by the time you reach the water temple. Even if they are not, you don't have to do Thundarr's quests. Sometimes (maybe 1/10 games) you have a run without Thundarr's help - Seriously, the game is more fun, due to it's variety and non-linear problem-solving based quest progression, if you just let that quest complete itself instead of trying to finish it every game! Just learn to enjoy that variety!
    I agree with what you're saying, to an extent. I don't want anything handed to me on a silver platter or too easy, and I like that this is a hard game that I have never beaten in the 10 years of playing it.

On the other hand, I think little steps can and should be taken to make this quest less RNG dependent and less rare monsters being assigned (as it looks like it has been in later versions based on RFE response, which I will check out once I finish my current characters and switch to the latest version).

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
    I agree with what you're saying, to an extent. I don't want anything handed to me on a silver platter or too easy,
    You should read through the RFEs then. It used to be able to request a Ki Rin! It was made easier then easier then easier! Every time TB dumbs the quest down, the slippery slope continues and people continue to post on the forums to get it made easier still.
    I like overcoming problems. I don't like considering 'whine on the forums until it gets changed' a satisfying way to overcome a problem in any game, and this quest, above almost everything else in the game, has been whined to a pathetically easy state these days.
    The key is, for me, realising that it's not a quest you have to do. You'll have the same issues if you believe finding an AoLS for Khelly is compulsory - it's much better (and more fun) to learn to play without it sometimes and appreciate the variety.

@Yourmum: My whole point about variety is that overcoming the pyramid, griffyard, and arena without the wand are actually interesting challenges to tackle in the early-mid game, and the solutions will vary depending on your class and your adventure so far! I appreciate what you're saying about the wand being valuable, but that was my entire point!
    Last edited by sylph; 07-19-2014 at 06:43 PM.
    My orc thief just died.