Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New dungeons in recent versions

Default New dungeons in recent versions

I was tooling around, and found the Putrid Cave. Didn't seem to go anywhere, but wondered if anybody else had a clue about it?

Those are just some extra dungeons to explore and placed randomly on some predefined spots on the map, some of which may require climbing set.
    Mildly spoily information about number, names, length and dangerousness of the new caves:

When did they first appear? R49? Cause they're not in pre23.

Quote Originally Posted by kapak44 View Post
    When did they first appear? R49? Cause they're not in pre23.
    Either r49 or r48 - I did not remember them in the release notes for either, but reading comprehension for the fail?

I didn't play r48 much due to rampant buggage.

I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    Gate Closers:
    Dwarf Monk (p17), Dwarf Paladin (p23), Gnome Duelist (r49), Dark Elf Barbarian (r50), High Elf Archer (r51)

To me, these new dungeons currently feel like something shotgunned over the wilderness map to meet a quota, with almost nothing making them different than a succession of non-special CoC levels.

Some work will be required to give them an atmosphere, detail and something unique that makes visiting each one worthwhile, as it is the case with all the other locations in the game. I don't doubt it will happen, though
    "And light there be!"

They were added in r48, see issue 2797.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    To me, these new dungeons currently feel like something shotgunned over the wilderness map to meet a quota, with almost nothing making them different than a succession of non-special CoC levels.

Some work will be required to give them an atmosphere, detail and something unique that makes visiting each one worthwhile, as it is the case with all the other locations in the game. I don't doubt it will happen, though
    +1.

Cavernous dungeon maybe at least worthwhile to scum for altars, everything else - meh. I pretty much never explore lower (or any) CoC levels if I find staircase early on.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    +1.

Cavernous dungeon maybe at least worthwhile to scum for altars, everything else - meh. I pretty much never explore lower (or any) CoC levels if I find staircase early on.
    You guys have lost your sense of adventure!

Its fun to get lost in a cave and go exploring, and its good to add more "points of interest" in the chain, even if they arent huge points. I think they do need some sort of reward at the bottom, or more incentive to go in. They help to take the away linearity of the game.

For example, in Diablo 2, they had those types of caves and in the last level there was a unique monster that guarded a special chest with extra loot.

Besides, if you are searching for a particular item, its way more fun to explore new areas than grinding out the same levels over and over.
    Gate Closers:
    Dwarf Monk (p17), Dwarf Paladin (p23), Gnome Duelist (r49), Dark Elf Barbarian (r50), High Elf Archer (r51)