Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What new uses would you like to add for existing skills?

I think a nice improvement to bridge building would be if you could make temporary bridges from rocks. Same restrictions as ice bridges but easier to make then log bridges. Also if you could deconstruct dungeon tiles adjacent to water tiles and gain rocks. So you turn the area around rivers into water but you gain half the rocks necessary to one water tile to earth.

I like a lot of these bridge-building ideas. Building a rock bridge in a dungeon could simple use the current pickaxe method of turning walls into rocks, and could just require something like 20 rocks and 2 clay per bridge section.

Dungeon door bridges are a similarly interesting prospect.

I also really like'd Kevintrimble's idea about having these 'improvised' bridge sections be load-limited, like ice bridges.

My take on bridge building is this:
    Applying bridge building next to a water tile gives the player a choice:
    [b]uild a bridge section or [i]mprovise a bridge

'build a bridge' requires a log. It takes 1 ingame turn, and does not waste the log if it fails.

'improvise a bridge' creates a weak (2000s limit?) bridge out of either rocks+clay, or wooden sticks. It creates a weak bridge that can collapse under too much weight.
    Last edited by sylph; 08-01-2014 at 03:16 PM.
    My orc thief just died.

I totally vote for the improvised bridge building. That's a really fair boost to the skill.
    Gate Closers:
    Dwarf Monk (p17), Dwarf Paladin (p23), Gnome Duelist (r49), Dark Elf Barbarian (r50), High Elf Archer (r51)

Woodcraft: less likely to encounter hostile trees in animated forest (or a chance of hostiles spontaneously turning neutral each turn); acts like (stacks with?) Find Weakness against plant creatures; increased chance for animated trees to drop logs and kicked doors to drop sticks; reduce weight of logs (probably requires adding new items, but it would be neat if each 20 pts in Woodcraft reduced weight of logs that you cut by 60s, without changing functionality), stack with or increase the chance of success for bridge building skill.

Metallurgy: I think this should work like gemology--without the skill you maybe have a 10% chance per dig of finding ore, with the skill it can go up to 75%. Increase the chance that successful smithing will add a bonus to an item, and/or increase the ceiling for such bonuses. Acts like Find Weakness (stacks with?) against metal creatures.

First Aid: I think every class should be able to use this on other creatures, for regular damage and to stop bleeding.

Healing: I think the Healer should be able to use this on other creatures from L1, to try to fix any condition (e.g. poisoned pets).

Ventriloquism: The Ice Queen loves fools. Use it on her to make her fall in love with your character.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Some random ideas:
    -Listening: Chance of revealing invisible opponents or opponents in darkness for a few turns. Maybe reveal their location until they move, and then you have to pass a listening check to see if you can see them again.
    That would be awesome. Maybe combined with a perception check if you're going to get a visual clue. If not as described then at least an ocassional message like "you hear footsteps close by" to indicate there is an invisible creature within a certain range. As invisible as it may be I can't see an Ogre Magus being particularly stealthy.

Listening could increase the chances of monsters offering peace. Appraising could give a small increase to critical hits. Courage could train appearance and will power. Survival could increase the chances that you keep 1 hp instead of dying. Woodcraft could decrease the chances of paper and wooden items being destroyed. metaluragy could decrease the chances of metal item destruction.

Survival is a big bag'o'shite indeed. I think it would be nice if you could get more out of it during normal play, far away from the wilderness. Can you use it to get fish out of rivers? Would be nice. What about the rooms that are "teeming with life"? Could a character with survival not pick out some edible fungus or grubs or something?

These are some good ideas going up, sinsi - can you edit your original post and put everything up in a table of sorts. I think a few of the ideas could use tweaking but it would help to organize everything before we start an RFE
    Gate Closers:
    Dwarf Monk (p17), Dwarf Paladin (p23), Gnome Duelist (r49), Dark Elf Barbarian (r50), High Elf Archer (r51)

Quote Originally Posted by YourMum View Post
    Survival is a big bag'o'shite indeed. Can you use it to get fish out of rivers? Would be nice.
    Hint: try it.

Quote Originally Posted by boat View Post
    These are some good ideas going up, sinsi - can you edit your original post and put everything up in a table of sorts. I think a few of the ideas could use tweaking but it would help to organize everything before we start an RFE
    Not yet. Since almost every post is plain addition of new uses - instead of discussion - it would be a needlessly long duplicate of all the posts.
    Maybe later, if we have 5+ pages.
    Last edited by SinsI; 08-02-2014 at 02:24 AM.

How about:
    Survival - gives a chance to continue playing when on negative hitpoints. survival 100 could have something like a 50% chance. Checked every turn until the roll fails and the player dies.

To be honest though, I quite like survival as it is. I think I just like taming racoons with fish!
    My orc thief just died.