Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What new skills would you like to see?

Lightbulb What new skills would you like to see?

Forgive me if this has been posted already (don't necro threads, but don't post duplicate threads, catch 22)

I would like to see clothworking and leatherworking skills. We get about 10,000 useless cloth and leather items each game, would be great if they could be broken down into scrap or augmented like is done with smithing. Could be even more creative than simply adding +1 to DV/PV, could use other items for regeants like potions or scrolls or crystals (maybe even the gems that are only worth $$) and gain stats or resistances or prefix/suffix. Then we could look forward to getting the next (0/0) leather girdle or bloody robe or gauntlets or cloak.

Just a thought, would like to hear other peoples ideas.

I'm not really sure since I don't care about crafting and don't really want to see it become necessary for optimal play, and that seems get rid of the more obvious additions like making jewelry or artifacts.

A skill for farmers and bards that has to do with pets would be nice. Maybe call it livestock, sheperding, or breeding. It would increase stats of pets and make them follow orders more often.

I would definitely go with "Shepherding" for the name of the pet-related skill. Making them follow orders more often fits better with that name. Maybe it could also make it possible for you to choose which direction your pet goes when displacing it, or something along those lines, rather than just pushing the critter forward or swapping places?

"Breeding" makes me think you'd need both a male Large Dog and a female Large Dog to use it, and "Livestock" seems a bit too farmer-specific if bards will be getting this skill too (and it's a bit odd of a word to apply to, say, dire wolves or claw bugs.)

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
    I would like to see clothworking and leatherworking skills. We get about 10,000 useless cloth and leather items each game, would be great if they could be broken down into scrap or augmented like is done with smithing.
    This sort of thing is going to be done in adom 2. That version already has a tinkering skill, with similar uses.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by heavensblade23 View Post
    I'm not really sure since I don't care about crafting and don't really want to see it become necessary for optimal play, and that seems get rid of the more obvious additions like making jewelry or artifacts.
    I second this, though much more strongly. I hate crafting in games with a passion. It's one of the worst MMO timewaster features that has managed to leak into single player. (Yes, I realise that there were games that had crafting before MMOs; however, MMOs were the ones that really popularized it because they needed some way to make people to keep playing the game long after its expiry date).
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    I second this, though much more strongly. I hate crafting in games with a passion. It's one of the worst MMO timewaster features that has managed to leak into single player. (Yes, I realise that there were games that had crafting before MMOs; however, MMOs were the ones that really popularized it because they needed some way to make people to keep playing the game long after its expiry date).
    My tolerance for crafting was much higher when I was younger, before I learned to hate anything resembling grinding in games.

If the ingredients are extremely rare/expensive or prohibitively difficult to get, then crafting wouldn't be such a bad idea.

I would love to see a skill like forging, which would allow smiths to create weapons/armor from scratch, given the right conditions, rather than only improve existing items.
    With many eternium ingots, some potions of toughness, crystals of power and eternium or artifact hammer, it would be possible to create eternium items at forges.
    Characters would need to have seen (identified) an item type they intend to create, though not necessarily of the desired material, since we're just talking about the general form and shape.
    Forging skill at 100 would be required for eternium, 85 for adamantium, 70 for mithril.
    Stuff like chance of failure, high cost and excessive game time/turncount consumption (but not real time, so no grinding) needed to gather supplies and forge stuff, would prevent players from forging an entire inventory of eternium items in favor of select few crucial ones, like girdles, helmets.
    I don't see any of the typical crafting shortcomings with this solution, no more than smithing skill already requires.

EDIT: A chance for prefix/suffix should be included, and should scale with PC's experience level.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 08-04-2014 at 09:34 AM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    If the ingredients are extremely rare/expensive or prohibitively difficult to get, then crafting wouldn't be such a bad idea.

I would love to see a skill like forging, which would allow smiths to create weapons/armor from scratch, given the right conditions, rather than only improve existing items.
    With many eternium ingots, some potions of toughness, crystals of power and eternium or artifact hammer, it would be possible to create eternium items at forges.
    Characters would need to have seen (identified) an item type they intend to create, though not necessarily of the desired material, since we're just talking about the general form and shape.
    Forging skill at 100 would be required for eternium, 85 for adamantium, 70 for mithril.
    Stuff like chance of failure, high cost and excessive game time/turncount consumption (but not real time, so no grinding) needed to gather supplies and forge stuff, would prevent players from forging an entire inventory of eternium items in favor of select few crucial ones, like girdles, helmets.
    I don't see any of the typical crafting shortcomings with this solution, no more than smithing skill already requires.

EDIT: A chance for prefix/suffix should be included, and should scale with PC's experience level.
    Yeah, that pretty much exactly the type of crafting that I despise. But that's just me. Smithing in ADOM is already too tedious for me.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I think crafting is fun. People don't mind when it's something simple like Alchemy. I think hours spent digging ore from rocks and hundreds of smithing failures has soured a few people on the whole process. But like other game activities, it's completely optional. As many have found, you can beat the game without smithing anything, and actually have a benefit from skipping it - less time spent, less corruptions.

Tailoring - break down a cloak into cloth strips, combine them with a potion of speed, then apply them to a robe. Get a robe of speed with an extra +1dv +1pv +10 speed. Add an emerald to the formula to get 1-3 points of dexterity.

It doesn't have to be a huge time investment or huge benefit, could be fun trying out different combinations. Get a little early game boost before you find some dragon scale male or AMW

or instead of doing it yourself, give the right combination of items to an NPC who makes it for you.