Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: overpowered traps?

Default overpowered traps?

Am i the only one who thinks that traps are overpowered? I have lost more than 10 mist elves to traps, especially in UD.

The last one went from 42 health to -4 from a booby trapped door. I even had hardy and sixth sense talents (but no fire resistance, it's true). It happened as well to stone block traps, there is no resistance that can help with that.

It's pretty hard as it is to keep a mist elf alive, and this things make it frustrating. And don't tell me not to play mist elves, i like them. I would play gray elves, but it seems to me that they have problems with learning spells lately. My last gray elf wizard needed several tries to learn a spell of medium complexity (i think in 1.1.0. it was way easier to do it). And it also gets a lot less castings form readings spellbooks compared to mist elves.

You have very, very wrongly identified the source of the problem.

Traps are not overpowered; far from it - they are underpowered for nearly all RCs.

A mist elf's HP is simply too little to deal with even underpowered traps. (Although, in my opinion [having won two and played a few others], I have no idea what all the hubbub is about traps and mist elves. I didn't encounter traps that often on them [as per usual for ADOM] and was far more likely to die to a monster than a trap.)
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    You have very, very wrongly identified the source of the problem.

Traps are not overpowered; far from it - they are underpowered for nearly all RCs.

A mist elf's HP is simply too little to deal with even underpowered traps. (Although, in my opinion [having won two and played a few others], I have no idea what all the hubbub is about traps and mist elves. I didn't encounter traps that often on them [as per usual for ADOM] and was far more likely to die to a monster than a trap.)
    Problem with things like these traps is, early game is a lot harder than endgame. And as far as traps being underpowered, once you know enough about the game to beat it a few times almost *everything* seems underpowered.

maybe i'm unlucky, but i learned to be careful around monsters, with traps you can't avoid them sometimes.

As i said, from all the mist elves i have played, 90% died to traps, being at full health and it's something i can't influence in any way. That's what's frustrating, when i make a mistake and die from it it's ok, but when i die just because, i don't like it.

i agree with sirtheta the problem is with mist elves and not traps..it is unreasonable for you to expect that trap are gonna be nerfed to accommodate 1-2 races. for example even gnomes who are magically proficient and not very sturdy at all can tank these traps. its only mist elves off the top of my mind that will suffer. so i recommend that for this race , unless you have good hp give UD a pass because the DL of the levels and hence traps goes up probably faster that you leveling up...that is to say taking the hmv route to D1 is sub-optimal for mist elves. better would be the newbiee dungeon for 1st 3-4 lvls and then straigth to D1
    also hardy talent sucks!! Much better is the tough talent! think about it..

Also worth remembering is that most trapped doors can be ignored. If it's not standing between you and the stair to the next level, just leave it there!

Low HP is very much part of the mist elf experience. You really need to get your elemental resistances up ASAP to avoid getting screwed over. I recommend wearing the black torc for early -Fire and -Elec. You can buy a set of keys to deal with door traps, or get the appropriate skills. Or just tunnel around them with a pickaxe.

Hardy is great for mist elves. If you take all three talents you get a flat 18 HP bonus, which is like 10 levels worth of HP for a mist elf. Tough is worthless.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Hardy is great for mist elves. If you take all three talents you get a flat 18 HP bonus, which is like 10 levels worth of HP for a mist elf.
    Not really if you have 20 toughness to get the talents.

i agree with soirana..if you can take the talent in the hardy line then u dont need it!! i think the hardy talent chain is more controversial in adom forum than the treasure hunter talent chain! some people love it others like me hate it. i personally dont think ill EVER take hardy in my adom career even if i start with single digit hp! i would rather take long stride and try to juke the critters with ranged combat and scum piety for lucky or something along these lines than take hardy or worse yet dv talents which i know gordon likes (he has a youtube channel i will recommend) . i am more torn on porter talent line which i think is really good in the mid game for more loot-whoring..pardon my french! but is useless late game!

Point is, if I could have gotten him to approx. level 13, same mist elf that dies to trap on VD 1 will be able to beat D 50 with little problem. D 1 is literally more dangerous for him than D 50 by the time he gets to it. Think this is intended?