Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: overpowered traps?

Quote Originally Posted by gr3ybird View Post
    D 1 is literally more dangerous for him than D 50 by the time he gets to it. Think this is intended?
    Isn't it true for any GE wizzard as well?
    Some races/classes/combos have easier at different points which is how it always has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Isn't it true for any GE wizzard as well?
    Some races/classes/combos have easier at different points which is how it always has been.
    True, but with new newbie friendly approach by TB (tutorial dungeons and such) DD/VD 1 deaths seem kind of on the way out.

True, but with new newbie friendly approach by TB (tutorial dungeons and such) DD/VD 1 deaths seem kind of on the way out.
    Depends on the RC. If you're using a newbie friendly RC - you shouldn't be dying on DD/VD1 no matter what (nor should you ever have).

No mist elf combo is a newbie-friendly RC. They all require a lot of extra care. There's no conflict in these matters.

I think mist elves are very cool [apparently I've won w/ 3, totally forgot 1], but you should give them a pass if you're not prepared for their difficulties.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    Depends on the RC. If you're using a newbie friendly RC - you shouldn't be dying on DD/VD1 no matter what (nor should you ever have).

No mist elf combo is a newbie-friendly RC. They all require a lot of extra care. There's no conflict in these matters.

I think mist elves are very cool [apparently I've won w/ 3, totally forgot 1], but you should give them a pass if you're not prepared for their difficulties.
    Get them past approx level 10, and they tank like nothing else with mist shield or w/e it's called. How is this not newbie friendly? Problem is *very* early game, < 10. You shouldn't have to pick a race for how they do in < 1/10 of the game.

I did learn disarm traps from the master thief with my gnome mage and after practice have no problems disarming them. Finding traps also works more frequently now that my skill increased.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post

Go with a mist elf elementalist and get the heir gift.

EDIT: Does not protect you against stone blocks, but still very handy.

Get them past approx level 10, and they tank like nothing else with mist shield or w/e it's called. How is this not newbie friendly? Problem is *very* early game, < 10. You shouldn't have to pick a race for how they do in < 1/10 of the game.
    Most newbies can't get to level 10 with an orc barbarian consistently. That's why they're newbies.

For mist elves, you should always get the black torc, IMHO, for the guaranteed resistances. Mist elves don't need healing anyway; first aid and a few spenseweed is usually good enough.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Most newbies can't get to level 10 with an orc barbarian consistently. That's why they're newbies.

For mist elves, you should always get the black torc, IMHO, for the guaranteed resistances. Mist elves don't need healing anyway; first aid and a few spenseweed is usually good enough.
    But Black Torc gives you +Cursed intrinsic...so it's kind of double-edged sword. You might gain resistances but doesn't it also give you worse "die rolls"...thus maybe making your experiences with enemies and traps worse...

Yes, it does give +Curse, but, my experience is that the other torc bonuses (speed, PV, resistances) make it more than worthwhile to wear it anyway. And in the particular case of mist elves, not having to worry about Fire and the hard-to-get Lightning resistance early on is pretty nice, at least for the first part of the game.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I never go with druid route for my mist elves. Since they are casters and have easy access to companions due to Necromancy, once you find a cure book Healer is a source of endless supply of blessed potions of extra healing - and those 1-3 permanent hp for each one are extremely useful for them, completely negating the danger of all the traps. Also, it is a good start for the Archmage route.