Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to ADOM question(s)

Default Newbie to ADOM question(s)

Hi, playing 1.2 and have died a few dozen times at least

I have a few questions I couldn't google/wiki

How much does race and / or class (besides healer) affect HP per level (or per toughness)

Is hp gained retroactive or does a low toughness score reduce the HP could(would) have in 9 levels

Can potential of a stat be increased through actions/leveling or do you NEED potion of potential/stat

Thank you for your time!

Oh another question. How can I hotkey skills like 'Pickpocketing/cooking' to a specific key (like CTRL-P) so I don't constantly need to hit A and then + and a key. (my hurthling merchant found a backstabbing statue and now pickpocketing is on the 2nd page... annoying!)

EDIT:

Another question, lol. When going to equip a weapon is it possible to inscribe an item (Precrown weapon) to be listed first always? Seems silly equipping a hand goes through gloves,amulets, helms etc before getting to weapons and shields.
    Last edited by LittleLady; 08-14-2014 at 01:41 PM.

[edit]Sorry, just realized you were talking about HP per level rather than HP regen. I think this is mostly a class-based effect. Barbarians tend to get more HP per level, Wizards less, though the difference is not so large (barbarians might have 20%-30% more). Except for mist elves, who have a huge penalty to max HP, I've never noticed much difference between the other races, but it's possible there's a small modifier on that too.

Toughness, in my experience, seems to act as a multiplier on your HP. So if you double your To, you'll double your current HP. AFAIK, you don't lose out if you gain levels at low To.

Mostly, you need the appropriate potion to raise a potential. There are some special cases where you can raise it directly through training.

You can quickmark skills with shift-A, and spells with shift-Z.

I don't think there is any way to reorder the list in the way you describe. If you press ) while in the inventory screen, it will show weapons only.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 08-14-2014 at 02:19 PM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Thank you for so many answers! So there is no way to directly assign a key to a skill(1 button vs a + #). Glad you don't lose out on hp by gaining TO later.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLady View Post
    Oh another question. How can I hotkey skills like 'Pickpocketing/cooking' to a specific key (like CTRL-P) so I don't constantly need to hit A and then + and a key. (my hurthling merchant found a backstabbing statue and now pickpocketing is on the 2nd page... annoying!)

EDIT:

Another question, lol. When going to equip a weapon is it possible to inscribe an item (Precrown weapon) to be listed first always? Seems silly equipping a hand goes through gloves,amulets, helms etc before getting to weapons and shields.

Thank you for so many answers! So there is no way to directly assign a key to a skill(1 button vs a + #). Glad you don't lose out on hp by gaining TO later.
    Yes there is, as JellySlayer said: "You can quickmark skills with shift-A" It lets you then select quick key for skill.

Technically it is possible [at least I believe so] to rewire keybinding file in such way that let say all numbers trigger apply skill. In such case double tapping on number would trigger skill quikmarked by it. Personally don't think it would be worth effort.

Since quikmarks depend on user instead of played character if one always quikmarks stuff same way shortcuts remain same all the time. For example a4 is always first aid for me.
    And a4 is not really worse than Ctrl-p anyway.

Thats true, I can use G-keys. Just wondered if there was a way to set it up so I couldn't have to re-bind everytime I murder my character (every few minutes) xD

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Technically it is possible [at least I believe so] to rewire keybinding file in such way that let say all numbers trigger apply skill. In such case double tapping on number would trigger skill quikmarked by it. Personally don't think it would be worth effort.

Since quikmarks depend on user instead of played character if one always quikmarks stuff same way shortcuts remain same all the time. For example a4 is always first aid for me.
    And a4 is not really worse than Ctrl-p anyway.

AFAIK, race and class affect HP only through Willpower, Strength and Toughness.
    HP gained is retroactive.
    Potentials can be improved up to 25 by eating corpses of monsters while ability is at maximum (Giants for Strength, Wights for Toughness). Increase is not guaranteed.

You can quickmark skills so that they always have the same letter combination. I suggest assigning Pickpocket on "a2", First Aid on "a1", Herbalism on "a5", Detect Traps on "a3", Disarm traps on "a4", Pick Lock on "a6", Cooking on "a0", Gardening on "a9".
    You can also repeat last action by pressing '

You can filter items in inventory to see only the weapons.
    Unfortunately, you can't change item sorting.
    Last edited by SinsI; 08-14-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    AFAIK, race and class affect HP only through Willpower, Strength and Toughness.
    HP gained is retroactive.
    Potentials can be improved up to 25 by eating corpses of monsters while ability is at maximum (Giants for Strength, Wights for Toughness). Increase is not guaranteed.

You can quickmark skills so that they always have the same letter combination. I suggest assigning Pickpocket on "a2", First Aid on "a1", Herbalism on "a5", Detect Traps on "a3", Disarm traps on "a4", Pick Lock on "a6", Cooking on "a0", Gardening on "a9".
    You can also repeat last action by pressing '

You can filter items in inventory to see only the weapons.
    Unfortunately, you can't change item sorting.
    You can get increases over 25 with corpses, it's just less likely to happen. And if it's a corpse with a negative effect and positive one, the negative effect - stat loss, is guaranteed while the positive one is not except at low stat levels. Such as with claw bugs and dark elf corpses, fomorian giant corpses.

Ah, yes. if value is <=21, increase is guaranteed.
    After that it rapidly decreases - i.e. you need 15 attempts to get an increase at 32.

Since over the course of the game you usually defeat ~300 giants and ~100 wraiths/specters, with only a small fraction dropping corpses - don't expect to reach higher than 25-30 through this method.
    Last edited by SinsI; 08-14-2014 at 10:27 PM.