Thread: The F Does PV and DV Stand For Exactly

Question The F Does PV and DV Stand For Exactly

So every single link on the internet is how to modify PV and DV or how to get the best of them or how certain things affect them yada yada yada but not one link actually says, simply, what PV and DV stand for, so were we meant to be born with this knowledge or?

God help me if every little basic concept is going to be as hard to find.

So far through the manual i haven't found a thing on it, and i decided to read the entire manual before playing first because i like to be enlightened on the basics, so im not just some noob that jumped in straight away and just asks everyone else how to play instead of taking the time out myself to find out.

I say so far in the manual implying i have not finished reading it yet because there's so many references about this mythical PV and DV that id like to know what they actually mean first so half the manual makes sense while reading it and it won't be time wasted.

So what does DV and PV mean exactly??

From the context its been used in so far im guessing DodgeValue and PowerValue or PhysicalValue or something, but clarification would be, much, appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

It's in the manual...

DV is defense value, which represents your ability to evade attacks. PV represents your protection value, which reduces the damage you take
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

After skimming through the manual I have to agree with you on the abundance of DV/PV uses before the concept is actually introduced. Some restructuring definitely won't hurt, because a whole bunch of stuff like Races and Classes, weapon skills, talents etc. are explained before the basics. Any ancient member willing to do a detailed read-through?

To pinpoint you in the manual -- The Player Character -> Attributes -> Secondary Attributes
    Secondary Attributes
    --------------------

The following secondary attributes are used:

DEFENSIVE VALUE (DV): The defensive value determines how hard you are
    to hit. It starts at 1, 10 is about average, and, in theory, it is
    not limited in its value. The higher the value is, the harder you are
    to hit. This value is influenced by race, class, dexterity,
    equipment, burden level, hunger, and dozens of other factors.

PROTECTION VALUE (PV): PV determines how many points of damage are
    stopped when your PC is hit by a physical attack. This value can be
    positive (which means that you have adequate protection) or negative
    (which means that your are carrying some kind of cursed items making
    it easier for your enemies to inflict wounds upon you). This value is
    influenced by your toughness, your equipment and several minor
    factors.
    P.S. Also, 10 DV being about average is so mind-blowingly wrong. I find the following passage quite similarly insane in actual gameplay considerations:
    Basically, every character is described by eight attributes which
    represent his abilities by birthright. Every attribute is rated from
    1 to 99 (in theory). 10 is an average score, 8 is slightly below
    average, 5 is quite bad, 3 is horrible, and everything below this is a
    real hindrance. 13 is a good score, 15 very good, 17 exceptional, 20
    very high and everything above this of epic proportions. It should be
    remembered that the average PC is rated higher than normal
    individuals of his (or her) race because PCs are meant to be true
    heroes. The absolute maximum for all attributes is 99, which is
    probably equal in power level to demi-gods.
    Last edited by _Ln_; 10-10-2014 at 01:47 PM.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

I guess 10 DV could be the average for a level 1 character just starting the game? That's the only interpretation of that I can see that makes sense. Likewise for the stats, if you apply them to a level 1 character, I guess the numbers discussed are... still wrong, but less far off wrong. 30+ is more what I'd consider epic level for starting stats, I suppose (actually, 30+ at any point in the game is basically at the point where I stop caring about it).
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

When it comes to attribs, I think they were talking more like "10 is average for a baseline human", not "10 is average for gameplay". Of course 10 is awful for most stats, because you've got to become a demigod to complete this game. That's why they also say that 20+ is extremely high and considered 'epic'. Your character has to become the hero to save the frickin' world, man, and you need STATS to back that up.

I think it means starting attributes and dv
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

Yeah would be great if things being mentioned so regularly in the manual could be explained first, minor problem i guess but one all the same (was for me)

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    I guess 10 DV could be the average for a level 1 character just starting the game? That's the only interpretation of that I can see that makes sense. Likewise for the stats, if you apply them to a level 1 character, I guess the numbers discussed are... still wrong, but less far off wrong.
    I think Biomateria is right, see also the quote from the helpfile from _Ln_ above:

It should be
    remembered that the average PC is rated higher than normal
    individuals of his (or her) race because PCs are meant to be true
    heroes.
    I.E., 10 (DV or stat) is average for "normal" people; characters (even when they just start) are above average.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.