Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scrub question about pick pocketing.

PoCC - i picked quit fwe in BDC, with paladin. But still didn't check it with thief's lvl 32 skill.

>>JellySlayer
    I see, thank you, than i will go deeper. It's test - only character,i'm not planing "return" from inf dung)

Quote Originally Posted by divij View Post
    why wud dragons have pockets?
    Just to jump in, Pickpocket isn't a very good name for the skill. It should be called "Stealing/Steal". But as of now its pretty hardcoded it seems. "the -foo doesn't have any pockets"

I didn't use the skill that much but one time I got a scroll of identify and I was more than happy.
    Gate Closers:
    Dwarf Monk (p17), Dwarf Paladin (p23), Gnome Duelist (r49), Dark Elf Barbarian (r50), High Elf Archer (r51)

Quote Originally Posted by boat View Post
    Just to jump in, Pickpocket isn't a very good name for the skill. It should be called "Stealing/Steal". But as of now its pretty hardcoded it seems. "the -foo doesn't have any pockets"

I didn't use the skill that much but one time I got a scroll of identify and I was more than happy.
    If we are going for in-game logic, pickpocket should be renamed to "generate item". You can't steal an item that manifests into existence when you try to steal it.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Objects in the pockets of the dead are considered to be donated to the God of Thieves. This has been a tradition in Ancardia for all of recorded history.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I thought monster pockets were portals to another dimension, one which eliminates mass but not weight, just like the PC's backpack (otherwise how could you carry 100 suits of armor).
    This is why you have to learn a special skill to apply pickpocketing, you aren't just reaching into a normal pocket, but rather another world. This is also why you can only snatch items weighing only 10s or less. Sure, the 10s of weight is in the pocket, but pulling that much mass from another dimension is very difficult.
    Last edited by gut; 10-17-2014 at 08:28 AM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I always figured you were taking something before the opponent was able to use it or break it during combat.

As for the skill - it's very powerful. Stop looking at it's use in terms of the best items it produces. The good think about pickpocket is the amount of potions of water, potential stats, scrolls of identify, uncursing, wands of stunning etc etc. A good thief will end up absolutely rolling in these items, which in turn leads to massive stacks of blessed herbs, healing potions, high stats, and lots of 'get out of jail' cards for bad situations. It's one of the best skills in the game, but it's more subtle than a simple 'I just pickpocketed ironfist'.
    My orc thief just died.

Quote Originally Posted by sylph View Post
    I always figured you were taking something before the opponent was able to use it or break it during combat.

As for the skill - it's very powerful. Stop looking at it's use in terms of the best items it produces. The good think about pickpocket is the amount of potions of water, potential stats, scrolls of identify, uncursing, wands of stunning etc etc. A good thief will end up absolutely rolling in these items, which in turn leads to massive stacks of blessed herbs, healing potions, high stats, and lots of 'get out of jail' cards for bad situations. It's one of the best skills in the game, but it's more subtle than a simple 'I just pickpocketed ironfist'.
    Exactly this.

You know, it's frustrating that even with all that stolen water, you still cannot bless all your PoGAs...
    Mission: Win with all classes as a dwarf
    Accomplished: Monk, Beastfighter, Duelist, Barbarian, Paladin, Priest, Wizard, Elementalist, Mindcrafter, Necromancer, Bard
    Current quest: Merchant

I wish I knew how to set up a macro for this. Gets tedious pickpocketing the same monster 10 times in a row until finally either gives you your fortune cookie or tells you the monster doesn't have anything. A, 1, up, fail, A 1 up Fail, a 1 up fail fail fai lfail failfailfailfailfailfailfalifalifailfail oh here you go green colored piece of glass.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
    I wish I knew how to set up a macro for this. Gets tedious pickpocketing the same monster 10 times in a row until finally either gives you your fortune cookie or tells you the monster doesn't have anything. A, 1, up, fail, A 1 up Fail, a 1 up fail fail fai lfail failfailfailfailfailfailfalifalifailfail oh here you go green colored piece of glass.
    Just do it once, then use "repeat last command", default key is '
    Mission: Win with all classes as a dwarf
    Accomplished: Monk, Beastfighter, Duelist, Barbarian, Paladin, Priest, Wizard, Elementalist, Mindcrafter, Necromancer, Bard
    Current quest: Merchant