Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ok, so I found yet another way to die

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    There's also the story of some adom player (not sure who it was) who was teleported onto a chaotic altar by random teleportation and instantly sacrificed.
    There was someone who fell down the rift, landed on an altar and was immediately sacrificed.
    "And light there be!"

I did it again, this time an even more advanced character.. Point was I somehow got from N= to C after I left darkforge, I guess it had to do with one of the pools I drank from..
    Another error previously happened while I messed op some keys standing on the altar in dwarftown and accidentally blasted acid all around me, druun was panicking from that moment on. I thought I'd just let him be in that state, it didn't seem to ever change, better than killing him I figured reading about the various possibilities.
    So after a dissapointing trip to the ice-queen who refused to give me some quests because I turned to Chaotic I returned to dwarftown to do whatever what, trying to get back to N on the altar I guess. Well, as soon as I step onto it... you know the rest.. [ I somehow had in my mind Neutral altars were safe, and especially the one in dwarftown, well in this particular setup it isn't apparantly :/ .]
    This game has some nasty features, I kinda like it but it's also a bit annoying to have to learn everything to hard way, even if you read all the guides out there, you'll have to know a lot of stuff in advance, a trip to the eternal flaming tower is just a one-way ride if you don't excactly know what to expect..
    Also this thing with crowning, in the game that just blew up, the PC had generated too much artifacts for his experience to match. Every attempt at getting more experience resulted in more artifacts generated..
    How alignment works still puzzles me.. How the f* did I get from n= to C all of a sudden. [Wasn't playing attention when it happened, just noticed it suddenly, as said, when leaving darkforge.] Also I noticed that my standing with my diety kept deteriorating.. Probably because of killing neutral critters, but are you seriously supposed to refrain from that even though they are attacking you?

p.s. Another thing, also entirely off topic, I never seem to get those herbs working for me. I ate all those morgia's and [uncursed] mareilon mosses, 2 at a time, 4 at a time, 8 at a time, a lot more at a time. I never noticed any difference. Should there be a follow up to eating that stuff? Like not eating anything for a while or something?

p.p.s. O yeah, and those cats !@*&! having gone through all that effort to evade them, let them scratch you and still try and be friendly.. And then, one suddenly jump in front of you when you're running through a corridor. Shouldn't there be some cases where you could be prompted to ask if you really want to piss off catlord?
    -And another annoying thing I found out, unlocked doors also can also be trapped apparantly, I found that out after I got an amazing cloak ( for my monk who otherwise has little options for protection. I find the cloak, think: that's f#$ing great! open a door, it blows up, cloak gone.
    -Another tip: don't kick altars. I thought it would help me please my deity to kick a chaotic one, well, my inventory went to dust.. that's what happened. Naked between the animated forest and the dwarven halls, really swell. [But managed to get out of there, summoned a familiar, a freaking earth elemental [at the 2nd dwarven halls level]. Went to the forest, it killed trees in 1 hit, levelled up like mad. Those trees don't ever disappear though. But a lot of loot. Also that guy was slow as a snail. So wasn't that sad when all of a sudden he didn't recognize me as his master anymore. But it was the strongest beast in the game at that point probably.
    Last edited by Rashomon; 10-22-2014 at 04:01 AM.

hmmm...this has never happened to me b4...i have stepped on the neutral altar many many times as a chaotic and never been sacrificed.....never except 1ce..i was playing a ck and obviously wanted to get crowned C so i did and then after doing the firetemple wanted to kill thnudy so that i can pul the lever and decend. so i figured i will rob the shop as well. so i gathered all the loot that i wanted and tpd str8 in front of thundy with my WoT, killed him and tpd str8 to the altar in dwarftown i had converted to C.... only to be sacrificed my the muscular dwarves to their god....
    also 1ce i was playing a sure gate closer....had just killed asb and wanted to convert the altar when an ancient karmic wyrm sacced me to his diety...it sucks when this happens to you after several hours of game play...now a days i always use a blessed wand of monster detection b4 stepping on non aligned or C altars...especially in 'open' rooms

Quote Originally Posted by Rashomon View Post
    Well, as soon as I step onto it... you know the rest.. [ I somehow had in my mind Neutral altars were safe, and especially the one in dwarftown, well in this particular setup it isn't apparantly :/ .]
    Killing neutral creatures doesn't affect your alignment; acidballing Ruun will do. Neutral altars are safe if you're neutral, otherwise they're nearly as dangerous as chaotic ones.

Also this thing with crowning, in the game that just blew up, the PC had generated too much artifacts for his experience to match. Every attempt at getting more experience resulted in more artifacts generated..
    I would put spoiler tags, but you're obviously already somewhat spoiled... you can get crowned at any level.

How alignment works still puzzles me.. How the f* did I get from n= to C all of a sudden. [Wasn't playing attention when it happened, just noticed it suddenly, as said, when leaving darkforge.] Also I noticed that my standing with my diety kept deteriorating.. Probably because of killing neutral critters, but are you seriously supposed to refrain from that even though they are attacking you?
    It won't have been pools, but there are quite a lot of actions which are chaotic. Acid-balling Ruun would definitely count, for one. Lots of pickpocketing, killing lawful creatures, or wearing certain items will also do it.

p.s. Another thing, also entirely off topic, I never seem to get those herbs working for me. I ate all those morgia's and [uncursed] mareilon mosses, 2 at a time, 4 at a time, 8 at a time, a lot more at a time. I never noticed any difference. Should there be a follow up to eating that stuff? Like not eating anything for a while or something?
    Good things come to those who wait...

p.p.s. O yeah, and those cats !@*&! having gone through all that effort to evade them, let them scratch you and still try and be friendly.. And then, one suddenly jump in front of you when you're running through a corridor. Shouldn't there be some cases where you could be prompted to ask if you really want to piss off catlord?
    Just kill them.

-Another tip: don't kick altars. I thought it would help me please my deity to kick a chaotic one, well, my inventory went to dust.. that's what happened. Naked between the animated forest and the dwarven halls, really swell.
    Yeah: don't piss off your god... or the other gods.

Sure, there are a lot of situations you only solve by dying through, ADoM teaches that if you have the means to run away, then there’s a lot of things you can survive and come back prepared. If you’re extremely careful around *any* new monster (read their descriptions!), you can avoid a lot of paralysation/death ray/petrification deaths.
    Gate closers: L+ DE Mindcrafter (p20), N= Gnomish Assasin (p20), N= Gnomish Mindcrafter (p23), N= Ratling Ranger (R49)

Yeah, It had to be acidballing Ruun that did change the alignment so drastically.. I noticed it only much later..

About that crowning, thanx, didn't know that (obviously )

About the herbs, how long do you have to wait generally? I think in hours of playing I never got any message related to thoughness, willpower that came from eating the stuff. Can you eat/use a gazillion at once and get all the bonusses, or stepwise all the time?
    [And can you combine the moss and the morgia? You need to eat a few in a row of one kind, I suppose you can't do any eating in between, or any action in between at all?]

Well... you live and you learn... Or better: you die and you learn..

I only recently started to really pay attention to deeper herb strategies so I'm not the one to give best advice there. That said I did advance herb trainable stats pretty well with my last character. Check the ADoM guidebook. It has info on how to best use those herbs for effect.

And no, it should take hours to see increases if you are doing it right.