View Poll Results: Are you interested in taking part in the competition?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I want to read and write many stories and stay till the end.

2 15.38%
  • Yes, I might write one or two stories but probably not full time.

3 23.08%
  • I don't know, maybe I'll just vote without writing.

6 46.15%
  • No, I don't want to take part or vote, but I will follow the thread and maybe post a comment..

1 7.69%
  • Not interested at all.

1 7.69%

Thread: ADoM-related writing competition

Default ADoM-related writing competition

Hello everybody,
    I've been thinking about this for some time.
    Many gaming forums host competitions where players attempt to write a story related to their game and compete with other stories.
    The voters - all of us - would ultimately decide who is the winner.
    This is a pretty ambitious proposition, which is why I'm trying to find out if there would be any interest in the first place.
    No point doing this when only 2-3 people take part.

The general idea behind this is to write 2000-5000 words in a short story format.
    As for the details, it's pretty clear it would have to be something from the world of Ancardia, preferably from the Drakalor Chain.
    The main factor contributing to victory, aside from a well-written piece of fiction, would be its adherence to the rules we all know and love (or hate).
    What I mean is that ADoM offers a vast multitude of choices and possibilities, so you won't have to make anything up, save for descriptions of known features, because everything has already been "created", as in - it exists in the game.
    Imagine reading a story and suddenly thinking: Hey! I know this shit! I lost a promising mindcrafter in the very same situation.
    Of course, how well someone describes the events we all know and have experienced at some point, is going to be the measure of their success.
    Writing about things every ADoM player can relate to would make it easier to judge a story and ultimately decide who managed to "keep" the spirit of the game on the virtual paper.

We have magic, we have might and we have stealth. There are monsters, companions, dungeons and artifacts... plenty of stuff to choose from.
    I'd even say that embedding certain descriptions authored by Thomas would be especially welcome.

Finally, the technical side:
    Two people are selected to write stories and then both are posted in a designated thread.
    People then proceed to read them and finally rate both stories, giving each 1-5 points.
    1 meaning it's gibberish written by a one-eyed goblin and 5 meaning it's the Mad Minstrel himself behind that keyboard.
    The victor is the author with the highest number of positive votes.
    Another two stories compete after that and once more the community decides which one is the best.
    At some point, we reach the final stage where victory determines who's the best ADoM writer.
    What's the prize? I guess it's just recognition but most importantly - the journey beats the destination. The competition is the prize itself.
    Everything is subject to change though, so we don't really have to follow this guideline, but I've seen this done like that and it worked.
    I added an optional poll so the interest might be gauged properly.

Ideas? Comments?
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I'd probably considering writing a story or two I suppose.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Last edited by gut; 10-18-2014 at 03:34 PM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

That's... not the kind of presentation I meant. I'm sure the story is interesting though.

Might write a story if I'm bored but surely wouldn't promise such a thing. It would also take time etc... Still an interesting thread and nice to follow ofcourse =)

i might write at max 1 story but for sure ill follow this thread. be forewarned though..if i do write a story, i am gonna take 'artistic liberties' meaning i am gonna butcher the english language and offend some sensibilities (i had to use autocorrect for the last word!!)

I don't think premeditated stories would fit with the spirit of a roguelike. A competition where people play some random character until it kicks the bucket and then make a short story out of that would be more fitting I imagine.

I've done something similar to what Small Bombs suggested, writing stories about random characters I played until they died. - http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...6391#post96391 -

I think submitting stories is an excellent fun idea, but I think competition would ruin the story part with everyone trying to one up the previous story.

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

Actually now that I think about it, I realize this would require a common theme, one thing that two people would write about so that we could compare how well they did, starting from the same point.
    Personal stories might differ to such an extent that it would be possible that one person simply has nothing exciting to write about, while the other - quite the contrary.
    Regardless, the form can still be adjusted if the interest is big enough.
    Perhaps playing a certain character combination until some point is reached in both cases and then writing about it? I'm just guessing here what would be the best way.