Thread: ADOM Release 51 is out!

Default ADOM Release 51 is out!

Thomas Biskup
    ADOM & Ultimate ADOM Maintainer
    https://www.adom.de - https://www.ultimate-adom.com

I've started a game yesterday which went late into the night and 3 precrownings (gotta love the new random dungeon with 3 cavernous levels). Some general feedback:

1) New menus are pretty cool. However, class and race options do not feature highlighted keys for specific action - as I played in gfx mode but without a mouse, I had some troubles remembering which classes are which letters. Could be nice if these are added somewhere in the middle (like "dark elf" for e) selection). Text alignment in the starsign doesn't make sense - you have all bonuses and names aligned to the center while lore description starts from the left of the screen. The result is a bit ugly.

2) Are there plans to increase the amount of player tile customization? Armor and helmets could be nice!

3) What the sound of a quarterstaff supposed to depict - a magical attack? I was expecting a thumb but instead hear something like "whoosh". Also, the staff weapon in the hands looks way too long.

4) Is there any way to show the starting point of magical projectiles better? Currently kobold shamans throwing lightnings and breath attacks "break" at the point where they originate creating a bad impression.

5) I think I remember an altar sacrifice animation in the previous release. It seems to be gone now (and I know after 3 precrowns).
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Feedback

#1 Yes, that's coming. Zeno already noticed it and it's implemented for the main menu for example. Might even appear in R52?
    Good point about the text alignment. I haven't gotten around to formatting the window text yet. Once all character creation menus are implemented there will be a cleanup pass to fix stuff like this.

#2 At this point - no. >>Maybe<< we can add 1 helmet and 1 "naked" body to warn the player in case his helmet/armor gets destroyed. Also a nice touch for true berserkers. Adding customization options is amazing fun for us too, but it's time consuming and there are more important issues yet to be tackled :X We'll re-evaluate the priority of this issue after Steam release.

#3 Thanks for that, we'd really like to know what sounds you like, and which ones are out of place. There are changes coming to the way melee attacks are depicted and we'd like to take your opinions into account.
    Staff - anyone else feels that way? Anyway, will look into it

#4 Likely yes, there is a better way Added to my TODO list.

#5 If there was one, I wasn't aware of it But it's a good idea, I think we have some spare spell animations from the old system that would do fine here.

Looks good, the new menus will take a bit of getting used to. Not sure about customising the game myself but that's just taste I guess. OTOH I do like the challenge of the week mode. I take it that the shared hiscores are Steam-only?

Still not taken the leap into tiles I'm afraid, so can't comment on that score.

The message "Unknown command -foo-" seems to have been replaced with "Command -foo- not yet tied to executable code", which seems ugly and unfinished - not sure if this is deliberate? (Linux ASCII version) Maybe I should not spam the spacebar so much.
    Gate closers: L+ DE Mindcrafter (p20), N= Gnomish Assasin (p20), N= Gnomish Mindcrafter (p23), N= Ratling Ranger (R49)

Shouldn't an update for R52 be posted?