Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Save me from myself.

> If herbs are scum give me another way to deal with all the

You misunderstood. Scum is not a 4-letter word in adom, it is the cornerstone of the game.
    Playing adom without properly using herbs is like playing tetris without the long narrow blocks.
    It is like playing that knife game that convicts play where they stab the knife into the table between their fingers, but doing it while drunk, blind and confused.
    It is like playing darts without arms.
    It is like shaving your dog with a spoon.
    It just doesn't work for noobs, period.
    This is the main reason to lessen the effect of herbs, it makes the game trivial for those who know the exploit, while making the game impossible for those who don't.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

oh, to put herbs in perspective: if you pool sip and get a wish, then wish for 'toughness', you get +2 toughness
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

@mjkittredge I wish TB would spend some time thinking about my play experience. Because...

@yhal003 Sure things might have gotten easier, but you have to be here and spoiled by more than a little to know it. If you just downloaded this game, read the manual, and started playing you would know nothing about all those things you listed. As a matter of fact I have been playing for a while now and still don't know where all the things you are talking about are. Most importantly I don't know how those things really help me. Sure, a dungeon for weak characters helps, but then the danger level on SMC goes up, and you cut off an entire part of the game for yourself should you take those 3 extra dungeon levels and get to level 5 before you enter SMC.

Sometimes I think we are all forgetting that this is the expert community, and not the total of all the people that play this game. Even coming here and trying to read enough to help takes a lot of time to understand.

EDIT: Imagine what this is going to be like if ADOM gets big on Steam. You are going to have tons of poeple coming here looking for help with things you would think of as normal everyday problems. If you suddenly have to learn all the potions, scrolls, wands, spells, alt names for the spells, ect... then add the C/U/B status for all those items and the little tricky things that can make or break a game. How, for expample, will a new player learn that you have to 'U'se a blessed ring to get a wish instead of looking for an effect by wearing it? Missing that wish is sure to change the way the game goes for you. Hell, without being spoiled its very hard to know what to wish for, and wishing for the wrong things can be just as bad. There is no learning curve here really, its all or nothing.
    Last edited by melphen; 10-31-2014 at 01:56 PM.

At what point does going through the DH become a reasonable possiblity? I have been slaughtered everytime I went near there so I have stayed away for a long time now.

I will only do the forest if I have controlled teleport and invisibility now. A couple of frustrating deaths surrounded with hostile trees has ensured that. I'll usually cross DH from around level 16 ish - after Nonnak and the pyramid. Sure you can die, but it's more avoidable with some skill than the frustration of being stuck in the forest with no teleport. Any or all of magic mapping, detect monsters and teleportation will help.

Quote Originally Posted by melphen View Post
    You are going to have tons of poeple coming here looking for help with things you would think of as normal everyday problems. If you suddenly have to learn all the potions, scrolls, wands, spells, alt names for the spells, ect... then add the C/U/B status for all those items and the little tricky things that can make or break a game. How, for expample, will a new player learn that you have to 'U'se a blessed ring to get a wish instead of looking for an effect by wearing it?
    Well, some things can be taught in the tutorial (which could be expanded, I can't remember if it teaches B/U/C differences now, which was one of the things it took me a *long* time to realise when I started). Other stuff can be worked out fairly easily, or is not necessary to get along in the game (herbs for example, would be hard to work out for yourself but are not necessary). The ring example is actually in the FAQ in the manual.
    Gate closers: L+ DE Mindcrafter (p20), N= Gnomish Assasin (p20), N= Gnomish Mindcrafter (p23), N= Ratling Ranger (R49)

I regularly go through DH and out of 10 trips, maybe one ends with me dying, and usually to a tension room of nasties.
    My mindcrafter recently opened a door in DH:2 and found 20 lich kings.
    Even with confusion resistance, I just had no chance, I was perma confused, I couldn't teleport and liches started summoning acid vortices and giant kings.
    That is however just one case that you can protect yourself from, with a fairly common wand of monster detection or a scroll.
    I made a mistake of not using either of those and paid dearly for that.
    Normally all I see in DH are monsters between goblins and berserkers. If the staircases are close enough, it's perfectly safe for multiple trips.
    The forest is much more tedious and not necessarily easier or less dangerous.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

@Blasphemous Thanks for the advice. I have a character set up about as well as I ever have right now (Thanks in no small part at all to the information gained in this thread so thanks again guys.) and I'm trying to pick my path.

On a side note this is my first time being crowned with Vanquisher and deciding to use it or not is a fun problem to have. So far I'm using it with glee and hoping that I don't have to regret it in the future. Is putting it away and swapping to sword and shield while in coward mode during combat a bad back up plan?

It's not a complete back up plan. Switching to sword and shield and Coward mode is perfect if you're reaching into your backpack for your wand of paralyzation and the like. If something is strong enough that you will lose if you use Vanquisher on it, you want to disable it and finish the job with Berserk Vanquisher if possible; that's the best way to use any two-handed weapon with massive damage output. Coward is not a good idea if you're planning to do any melee fighting; the defensive benefit is outweighed by the fact that you will be fighting much longer. I usually do my fighting in Normal, or one of the in-between modes if I have a good Tactics skill - and berserk against the paralyzed and otherwise helpless.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

@Silfir I'm pretty sure I watched you beat the game... pretty sure I didn't see much half stepping in your tactics... I'll take your advice but with a grain of salt lol.

If you haven't already you should do a video through the new stuff too. I have to ashamedly admit I haven't visited your page in a while.

I'm doing my run of ADOM 1.2.0 p20 again these days; I'm at the Pyramid at the moment. I'm going to miss out on a bunch of the new stuff because it wasn't in that version yet, and I don't have closed prerelease access.

What are you referring to by "half-stepping"? Giving ground during fights to get free attacks because of different speeds and energy costs? I'm pretty sure I do do that when it's relevant... Or are you referring to Tactics settings? It's true that I will frequently use Coward and Berserk modes, but it's more or less automatic. Coward is a given whenever you perform any action other than fighting, and Berserk is a given when you're attacking without fear of retaliation. Outside of that, I think I used Aggressive or Very Aggressive through much of the later stages of Hocus Pocus' run, and Normal in the beginning. I think.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.