Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difficulty Thresholds?

Alright, thanks for the help everyone. I am guessing I must have been doomed/cursed and not aware of it. Due to the number of questions about various circumstances I am going to assume my theory about the difficulty ramping up at predetermined levels/progression points must be completely false and any change in difficulty likely comes from status changes etc...

For the most part, difficulty is based on Dungeon Level, which is tied to the dungeon you are in. As you descend floors, difficulty increases, though it is not always a one-to-one ratio. There is only one special area to my knowledge - the Small Cave (SMC), where Dungeon Level = 2 x Character Level. Very dangerous place, for what I hope are obvious reasons.

To answer your question a little more explicitly, no, your character's level does not affect game difficulty. Only being Cursed/Doomed can make the game harder. Game time only affects background corruption rate, which doubles every 90 days. And yes, it is all too easy to accidentally hit a Karmic Anything in melee and not even notice it. Happens all the time :P You might also become Cursed/Doomed from pool-sipping.