Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's talk about monsters' ability to track

Mmm, I'm on JellySlayer's side of the issue. At first glance, yeah, maybe making mundane monsters less homing sounds nice, but I think it would slow down the game more than you expect. It's not just live-sac'ing that would be broken - characters would level slower, the game would take more time, etc etc - it affects a LOT of thing. Background corruption, item quantity, and hunger would also be affected in an ancillary manner. Everything homing in on me no matter where I am definitely seems wrong to me, but I think it is the lesser evil of everything ignoring my presence on the level. I think that would be more frustrating in the long run.

I do, however, agree with the lot of you on invisibilty. Monsters seem to have a pretty uncanny ability to find you when you are near them, and attack/follow you even if all you did was walk within one square of them. I don't know if that would be an easy fix, though, and patching that issue would come at a cost I'm not sure if it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by biomateria View Post
    Monsters seem to have a pretty uncanny ability to find you when you are near them, and attack/follow you even if all you did was walk within one square of them. I don't know if that would be an easy fix
    I do: just return to 1.1.1 behavior.
    "And light there be!"

Invisibility was pretty broken in 1.1.1. Being able to completely ignore (and kill with complete impunity) 99% of the game's monsters was pretty ridiculous.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

if you read a book in a room, the mob first wanders by, then if you are in its radius of detection (I don't know if they all have the same radius, but they DO have radius), then it knows you are there and has every reason to stay interested. How it knows you are an enemy? Because you smell like a being that has spent some time outdoors. Because you aren't in its monster memory yet, and it won't stop until you are. Because there is such an infinitesimally small chance of it being able to be hostile to any other mob, it has to take what little chance it can get. Because it has no greater chance to see you as an enemy just by seeing you than it does by smelling/hearing you.

Invis is probably seen in adom as more like predator type invis, meaning more like pretty-much-invis-but-not-absolutely-perfect. Once a mob knows where you are, it can just look for the wavy convection ripples in the air. You can't do the same to li-hon-kay, as your dungeon senses aren't as good as monsters who have never set foot outside a dungeon.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."