Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longest time played before first victory?

Default Longest time played before first victory?

For me, 15 years. Circa 1999 (aged 13) to December 9, 2014 (age 28).

However, in those years I did go through several stretches of months/years not playing. I decided to play again a few weeks ago after finding out about the recent updates. Got to D:50 a couple of times before but always got crushed by the balors. This time around I made a dark elf archer. After being crowned with True Aim it was pretty much game over -- I actually think the boomerang effect makes it pretty OP, although it does balance out the fact that arrows are now destroyed much more easily.

What's the longest anyone here has played before their first victory?

11 years - 2003 to 2014

Also would be interested in hearing what the least time played before first victory is. Any ADOM geniuses nail this game after, say, just a few weeks of playing (assuming use of wiki/guidebook/spoilers, of course).

Initially unspoiled but heavily save-scummed chars took me ~10 months to win.
    At some point years ago I decided to abandon save scumming and then my first victory came within a year.
    Still, I was as spoiled as it gets.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

i was lets say 70% spoilt...i knew where the different places were etc...and what to do v/s special enemies...still it took me i think around 6 months....there was a time when i thought that saving the carpenter was like 1/2 the game....i played exclusively gnomish wizard. 1 month b4 i actually won, i had a character close the gate and reach the main map but i got crushed to death by his luggage 'cause i didnt know that was a thing and didnt use strength of atlas

With the help of IGB after 1-2 months my gnome assassin lvl45 became purple jelly on D:48, because we was not smart enough to 'u'se orb on anomalies and tried dropping them. He also did maze without spells or scrolls and did the job for AKW. For some reason i thought these two are necessary to win the game. Oh, and he meleed ACW with sword of nonnak and no disablers. I'm most proud of this character.
    First win was about a month later with DE mindcrafter.
    No savescumming on any of them.

About a year.

I played round about four and a halve years untill I won my first run in late 2012. All in all I won two games in 2012, seven games in 2013 and so far twelve games in 2014, so apparently I am still improving :-)
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by steveie986 View Post
    Also would be interested in hearing what the least time played before first victory is.
    Around one month. With lots of help from the community and Guidebook, of course, but still very impressive.
    "And light there be!"

It was about 11 years, I think I started playing ADOM in the early 2000's, and my first win was in 2013.

I have to agree with the expansiveness of the game which surprised me. In some cases I wish I didn't spoil myself and found things on my own (HMV, temples, etc) - In some senses I didn't have enough time to figure all that stuff on my own because I was playing so many other games as a teen.

Beating the game in one month would be like studying for a huge final exam and acing it in the end!
    Gate Closers:
    Dwarf Monk (p17), Dwarf Paladin (p23), Gnome Duelist (r49), Dark Elf Barbarian (r50), High Elf Archer (r51)