Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite 1.20-Onward Race/Class

Default Favorite 1.20-Onward Race/Class

I used to use a lot of HE Barbarians, but have since made the switch to Duelists. So much pain in mele; the satisfaction of hitting greater molochs and red dragons to death without letting them get a hit in is immense.

Have the new races and classes made a difference to the way any of you play the game? And if they do, how?
    A wizard's natural enemy: Chandeliers.

My experience of past 2 months:
    1.Quests? ADoM has quests?
    2.Weapons are either two-handed or bad.
    3.Corruptions!Corruptions free for everyone and let no one be forgotten.

Basically i'm still doing CK OCG without converting from C- and playing CK this way is quite different from normal routine games where you do this quest, get this to do that and so on.

I have to agree that doing a purely chaotic CK OCG is a lot of fun and very satisfying. I call it the "usurper challenge".
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

My attempt at GE CK OCG was cut short by corruption in the chaos plane. Ultra endings have it easy with all those scrolls, purely chaotic CKs get very little in the way of guaranteed resistance sources... although it would've been possible if my first corruption wasn't Acid Blood, causing Andor Drakon to blind himself and teleport randomly after every successful melee hit. Ugh.

I think my favorite though is ME necromancer, just because of the ridiculous possible mana scores after a bit of training. Throw in the heir gift, and they're the perfect glass cannon.

Our definitions of fun must differ a lot then - as for now, I feel CKs are pretty tedious and their gameplay is barren...

Though doing an UCG with one was one of the most satisfying victories I had in ADoM. Worth spending half of the game without class features.

I still go Fate much of the time.

Running a Mist-elf Druid. Not sure I would have ever chosen it, but it's pretty solid!

Despite my own reservations against mist elves (they suck badly), one of the memorable recent games I've had was a ME mindcrafter.
    Pretty amazing stuff, 60ish PV and vanquisher plus 50 Wi and lots of confusing. Clearing a greater red dragon vault wasn't a big deal.
    Lots of fun.

Playing GE monks is invariably an exciting prospect, since in the late game they become absolutely devastating.
    Their melee attacks are second only to high-end duelists and assassins and even that by a small margin.
    490 energy cost for moving, ~750 for attacking things, instakill chance, kicking down walls whenever necessary, writing scrolls all the time at the cost of PP only, reading virtually any spellbook... probably my favorite class all-around.

GE assassins, once invisible and in full stealth can one hit anything, with the exception of Andor and some other monsters instantly hostile and aware of the PC.
    Otherwise, I've seen greater molochs, great karmic wyrms and balors drop after a single stab.

If you are persistent and roll a bard with a nice skillset, it can be a relaxing game where all you really need is leveling up asap.
    10 skill increases per level with a Le:25+ GE bard is a normal thing.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by The Cold Sailor View Post
    ...Have the new races and classes made a difference to the way any of you play the game? And if they do, how?
    I absolutely love mist elves and play them a lot. I also really like duelists. I think both were very good additions to good old ADOM.
    Ratlings are not something I would pick (mainly because short lifespan and nothing to make up for it), but I'll play along when a random roll gives me one.
    Chaos Knights are not my thing at all. Powerful, but for me somehow very depressing. If I get one, I'll reroll right away.

I got back into ADOM after a long lull and after a brief period of trying the new stuff out, I started trying out old race/class combos that were always available but that I never really played or understood how to play.

I did a number of mist elves but the most successful ones ended up dying to things like ogre maguses.

I never tried the duelist or the ratling, but I did give a couple chaos knights a short go. I could probably put some good time into playing some chaos knights. Back in my newb days a decade or so ago I brought a save-scummed character into the ID to kill malakai, and I like the idea of trying an OCG.

But mostly I ended up learning to appreciate drakeling farmers and drakeling assassins. I've become interested in melee characters, and become acquainted with offensive alchemy. I've come to appreciate the immense value of a slaying ammo and slaying weapons, and the utility of acid spit in darkforge. I've come to appreciate old things in the new version.

Do need to do some Chaos Knights though.

I love duelists, OP as they are.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.