Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beastfighter speedruns go here.

Default Beastfighter speedruns go here.

I'm going to try to set a speedrun record for
    beastfighters, so I decided to create a thread
    for it. I welcome all to join in and post their
    sad deaths along with me. Let's do this.

Current sad story:

Beasty was doing wonderfully. She was on D:14 with only
    1700 game turns consumed. Sure, it would have been nice
    to have been above exp. level 6, but I was going along
    just fine in spite of it. Then I notice I have simply
    died, and that my HP's are comfortably into the negative
    numbers.
    Code:
                                           ######
                                     #######====#    #########
                                     #.....#====#    #.......#
                       ###############.....====##    #.......#         #########
                       #.....#............====##     #.......#         #.......#
       ###########     #.....#.###.######====##  #####.......#######   #.......#
       #.........#     #...../.# #.#    ##====## #.../..(..../.....#   #.......#
       #.........#     ###########.#     ##====###.###############.#####.......#
       #.........#             #...#      ##====.............$...........0.....#
       #.........###############.##########====###.#################.###########
       #.*.................................====............+.......#.#
       #..*......###############.#########.====#############.......#.#############
       #......@..#             #.#       #.====##        #.+.......+.............#
       ########### #############/#########.#====##########.#.......###.......>...#
                   #.........#./.....#.....##====#...../...#.......# #...........#
                   #..<......#.#.....#########====.>...#####.......# #############
                   #........./.#.....#     ##====#.....#   #.......#
                   ###################     #====########   #########
                                           ##====#
                                            ######
    Beasty        St:19  Le:10  Wi:19  Dx:20  To:24  Ch:12  Ap:11  Ma:11  Pe:12 N=
    DV/PV: 34/11   H: -24(96)     P: 10(17)      Exp: 6/3739        D: 14 M: 1701
    Coward

Head          : uncursed metal cap [+0, +4]                           [50s]
    Neck          : -
    Body          : uncursed light furs [+3, +1]                         [180s]
    Girdle        : -
    Cloak         : -
    Right Hand    : -
    Left Hand     : -
    Right Ring    : uncursed ring of fire resistance                       [1s]
    Left Ring     : blessed ring of stun resistance                        [1s]
    Bracers       : -
    Gauntlets     : uncursed gloves of carrying [+0, +0]                   [6s]
    Boots         : uncursed heavy boots [-1, +1]                         [30s]
    Missile weapon: -
    Missiles      : heap of 12 uncursed rocks (+0, 1d4)                   [60s]
    Tool          : cursed holy symbol                                     [5s]

uncursed scythe of corruption "Moon Sickle" (+6, 10d4+6) [+2, +2]  [70s]

blessed long bow (+2, +2)                                          [30s]

uncursed potion of invisibility                                     [4s]
       potion of holy water                                                [4s]
       uncursed potion of sickness                                         [2s]
    S
       heap of 3 cursed morgia roots                                       [6s]
       heap of 4 cursed moss patches of mareilon                           [8s]
       heap of 3 uncursed moss patches of mareilon                         [6s]
       heap of 5 uncursed spenseweeds                                     [10s]
       cursed spenseweed                                                   [2s]
       cursed curaria mancox herb                                          [2s]
       blessed spenseweed                                                  [2s]
       uncursed morgia root                                                [2s]
       heap of 9 blessed morgia roots                                     [18s]

Unarmed fighting         4    +3    +1   +1   skilled              101

Beasty, the drakish beastfighter, was killed by a rock thrown by a wall
    beast.
    Yeah. That's fair.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I'm in!
    What are the general plans? You seem to be something of a speed-player and have made some excellent wizard speedruns, so I'd imagine you have a general plan.

EDIT: And also, WTF is a wall beast doing at D:14?!
    Last edited by Necropassion; 07-14-2009 at 09:45 AM.
    Suddenly a stream of acid pours down from the ceiling! The cute dog is horribly mutilated by the acidic fluids! The cute dog dies!

I was kinda wondering the same thing : )

My plan so far has been to just get to the Snake as
    fast as possible, in hopes that the game would be
    easier with the Water Orb. Sadly, I haven't even
    reached the Snake yet. I'm begining to realize
    that doing this without herb farming just isn't
    realistic.

My new plan is to sprint to the big room, hope for
    some herbs, pump the PC for a while, and try to
    make up time after that. I really wish beastfighters
    started with literacy though, just in case a scroll of
    darkness was to appear.

I'm definitely open to other strategies though. A
    source of teleportation seems to be a much bigger
    problem than aquiring TP control. Seems blink dogs
    are more common than I thought, or I've just been
    lucky lately. I would consider exploiting a corruption
    trap, but they are rare outside of the pyramid, and
    reaching exp. level 13 without clearing BUGWIL is
    very difficult. Besides, I imagine a beastfighter will
    have a lot of problems with corruption in a speedrun.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Well, I think this is going to be a tough one. My plan for the early game is something like this:

Head directly to CoC, buy lizards and continue to the big room to pacify herbs.

Dive to dwarftown, sacrifice mimic, 'l'ook identify important items in Waldy's shop and then receive first Thundarr quest (character level should be low, so you shouldn't get a too tough one) and Griffquest.

Get back up to the big room to farm and fight for XP and blink dogs, hopefully completing Thundarr's quest in the process.

After this it gets tricky; if I complete Thundarr's quest and have id'd identify scrolls (in Waldy's) I'll probably want to go down to DT again to aquire the PoL along with next quest. This procedure is a potential turn-hog.

Get TP wand on the way to griffyard. At the graveyard TP to stairs, descend, drink !oI if I have one, TP to grave, put Griff to rest with water, (maybe kill Nonnak if I feel strong enough) get gauntlets and get out.

Get back to DT. Continue to water temple. A ?oDarkness wouldn't go amiss here.

This is about as far as I've thought. Someone have anything to add? These are some minor thoughts:
    One could make sure to get a skeleton for first kill, then gamble that you've got 500 kills by the time you leave for Griff. 'Courage' would be a pretty useful skill later.
    If one really wanted to shave some turns off, you could forego aquiring the elemental gauntlets, though I'm not sure this is a good idea.
    Other possible races for this challenge are dwarf and orc (and possibly troll) - each of these are largely inferior to drakelings as a whole, but do add some minor advantages.
    Last edited by Necropassion; 07-14-2009 at 01:45 PM.
    Suddenly a stream of acid pours down from the ceiling! The cute dog is horribly mutilated by the acidic fluids! The cute dog dies!

Just checked beastfighter crowning gifts, theyre good! BoW, Natures Companion, Preserver... And cloak of Oman gives teleportitis and boots of divine messenger tp control if you dont have those otherwise.

And literacy is very very necessary. I suggest going to Dwarftown before herbing to get quest, and check shop too. Hoping for corpse is also an option, but needs more games. "Just in case of scroll of darkness" is a stupid thing to say... item detection/magic mapping, teleportation, CHAOS RESISTANCE, and also id, uncursing are hugely useful.

Your original plan sucks as you probably realized. Orb cant stand up to big room, especially you cant use it much without getting corruption death. Also slower in turns.

Poolsip for teleportitis if all else fails. And the wand wont carry you through the game alone. Corruption trap can be found in dward graveyard, and gauntlets might be necessary for tower survival. But id still prefer sip.

Quote Originally Posted by Necropassion View Post
    Well, I think this is going to be a tough one. My plan for the early game is something like this:

Head directly to CoC, buy lizards and continue to the big room to pacify herbs.

Dive to dwarftown, sacrifice mimic, 'l'ook identify important items in Waldy's shop and then receive first Thundarr quest (character level should be low, so you shouldn't get a too tough one) and Griffquest.

Get back up to the big room to farm and fight for XP and blink dogs, hopefully completing Thundarr's quest in the process.

After this it gets tricky; if I complete Thundarr's quest and have id'd identify scrolls (in Waldy's) I'll probably want to go down to DT again to aquire the PoL along with next quest. This procedure is a potential turn-hog.

Get TP wand on the way to griffyard. At the graveyard TP to stairs, descend, drink !oI if I have one, TP to grave, put Griff to rest with water, (maybe kill Nonnak if I feel strong enough) get gauntlets and get out.

Get back to DT. Continue to water temple. A ?oDarkness wouldn't go amiss here.

This is about as far as I've thought. Someone have anything to add? These are some minor thoughts:
    One could make sure to get a skeleton for first kill, then gamble that you've got 500 kills by the time you leave for Griff. 'Courage' would be a pretty useful skill later.
    If one really wanted to shave some turns off, you could forego aquiring the elemental gauntlets, though I'm not sure this is a good idea.
    Other possible races for this challenge are dwarf and orc (and possibly troll) - each of these are largely inferior to drakelings as a whole, but do add some minor advantages.
    Hmm somehow I missed this post. But few things:
    Dont buy lizards, food is not problem when scumming big room, its useless detour.
    Water temple is not great, walking takes too long. Go there when you have fire orb. And only 1st dwarven quest is efficient, dont go below drarftown yet, nothing to see there.
    Drakeling is only valid class, others cant survive tower as well.

...So yeah I'd pretty much play this like my barbarians. The different thing is no mighty blow/slaying and late move bonus, so mass killing steel golems is out of question. Better to hog xp in Tower maybe, if you need it for lvl13, or dont feel buff enough for wyrm.

Doing arena and getting tactics might be worth it... But probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I was kinda wondering the same thing : )

My plan so far has been to just get to the Snake as
    fast as possible, in hopes that the game would be
    easier with the Water Orb. Sadly, I haven't even
    reached the Snake yet. I'm begining to realize
    that doing this without herb farming just isn't
    realistic.
    Out of curiousity, how did you open the dwarven portal on your way down?
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Yeah. You have some good pointers there. Problem is that I'm new to speedruns. I see this one as a 'rehearsal' or whatever I should call it.

I'll follow your advice on waiting with the water orb. I just hit lvl. 13, have just completed the graveyeard and the turn-counter is just below 7000. I'm thinking about doing the pyramid now, what's your opinion on that?
    I'm also unsure how to handle the equipment destruction in ToEF, as well as the ACW itself.

Any input would be most welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Out of curiousity, how did you open the dwarven portal on your way down?
    I think he used drakeling spit on elder, then pulled lever.

Quote Originally Posted by Necropassion View Post
    Yeah. You have some good pointers there. Problem is that I'm new to speedruns. I see this one as a 'rehearsal' or whatever I should call it.

I'll follow your advice on waiting with the water orb. I just hit lvl. 13, have just completed the graveyeard and the turn-counter is just below 7000. I'm thinking about doing the pyramid now, what's your opinion on that?
    I'm also unsure how to handle the equipment destruction in ToEF, as well as the ACW itself.

Any input would be most welcome.
    I think the pyramid is pretty much a must. You will probably want a source of -Death and -SeeInvis for the Mana Temple anyway, and the ankh will significantly reduce your equipment destruction in the ToEF. You can do the pyramid in like 10 turns if you have teleport, so it's pretty much a no-loss proposition. Even if you don't, it still shouldn't take more than a few hundred turns.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.