Thread: Unusual challenge game...

Default Unusual challenge game...

My USB keyboard just gave up on life, so I'm playing with the number keys on my laptop now. Kind of made me wonder: has anyone ever been masochistic enough to take on the challenge to play and finish this game with just the arrow keys, in other words: finishing the game without moving diagonally? Besides being very annoying, would there be any reason why it wouldn't be possible?

I think it should be possible. The only inconvenience I can think of is you need a climbing set to enter the CoC.

Dodging some mosters would be a huge pain. I played on a laptop but I would still use the top number keys for movement at times. Very little diagonal movement but still there. Climbing set for CoC could be gotten early from gremlin cave.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrnyx View Post
    Dodging some mosters would be a huge pain. I played on a laptop but I would still use the top number keys for movement at times. Very little diagonal movement but still there. Climbing set for CoC could be gotten early from gremlin cave.
    You'd need a climbing set to get in gremlin cave. Pyramid would be pretty easy though. UD, PC, and VD will get you around the required level.

Fun fact! In the most recent version if you press a combination of keys like up and left at the same time you will go diagonally up and left. So you can play passably with arrow keys now.

Quote Originally Posted by pjsb1 View Post
    Fun fact! In the most recent version if you press a combination of keys like up and left at the same time you will go diagonally up and left. So you can play passably with arrow keys now.
    That IS a fun fact indeed! Very nice. Makes life a lot easier.

And pressing left+right or up+down at the same time is equivalent of pressing 5.
    Last edited by mjz15; 02-05-2016 at 08:53 AM.